Vertical shaper/slotter on ebay

Examining the bid history it appears that there was a shill bidder, the winner should have sniped and saved a few bucks.
Best Regards Tom.
Reply to
azotic
I've been watching a 6" vertical slotter on ebay for a few weeks. It was
listed at $900 by a machinery dealer in Detroit, but didn't sell and was
relisted a few times. They eventually lowered the price to $800. The
auction ended earlier today and it seemed some people got into a bidding
war. The winner got it for $1325 !

I had never heard of the "Douglas" brand before. Were they comparable to
Pratt and Whitney?
I think I'll get an angle plate to mount a rotary table on my horizontal
shaper while I wait for a nice 6" Pratt and Whitney to come along in my
area, at the right price.
Reply to
AL
It just seems odd that a bidder thats been a ebay member since 2004 with only 1 feedback for thier purchase of a Belly Dance Costume would suddenly develope a burning desire to own a shaper/slotter and run the price up in the last few minutes of bidding.
Best Regards Tom.
Reply to
azotic
Not sure I understanding the bidding on this item.... paying attention to the dates and especially the TIMES.... doesn't make sense to me. Ken.
Reply to
Ken Sterling
It's gotta be a shill. suzzannes' only other purchase was a belly dance costume. What do you suppose a belly dancer would do with a big oily machine with a ram that has a vertical stroke of 6" ? Substitute for a metronome? Pig
Reply to
Tom Wait
On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:33:08 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Wait" quickly quoth:
Maybe she made enough doing belly dancinf to buy it for her husband, who also has a stroke of 6".
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------
Refreshing Graphic Design
Reply to
ljaques
What exactly would this machine do that cannot be done in a 'horizontal' shaper?
Ivan Vegvary
Reply to
Ivan Vegvary
Not a machinist but: Perhaps it's just easier to lie items to be slotted on their sides rather than trying to set them up on edge vertically? On the other hand if removing metal from a flat surface is the intended use perhaps a horizontal shaper would better fill the need?
dennis in nca
Reply to
rigger
Key phrase is "cannot be done." Answer: Very little. However, for many operations involving internal operations such as key ways, the vertical shaper is much more convenient, and in the machining business, time is money.
Also, because it is an attachment, it is one less full machine to buy. Because it makes use of the slides on the mill, it was less expensive than a full shaper, even a small one.
It is also much more "adjustable," for example compound angles, than the "normal" horizontal shaper.
Uncle George
Reply to
F. George McDuffee
That's true, in that probably a horizontal shaper could do the same work, but less conveniently. Most such vertical slotters also have what amounts to a large rotary table built-in, thus making it easier to cut splines, gear teeth, etc.
Dan Mitchell ============
Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell
The machine in question was a 'real' slotter, not the BP attachment. Otherwise, what you say is true. The only other issue is the rotary table that is an integral part of most slotters.
Dan Mitchell ============
Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell
Not that it helps much, but *most* state high schools in NSW (Australia) were supplied with their own Douglas shaper (horizontal - 6?") many years ago. Some of us still use them! :-) *Could* be the same "Douglas".
-- Jeff R. (loves antiques)
Reply to
Jeff R