Question on eBay bidding

I've been looking for a 4-jaw chuck for my lathe. Here's one that I was following, but I think got too high for some reason:

When I look at the bidding history, I see one person bidding up the price with no other bids in between. I have seen this before on other eBay auctions.

I can't figure out how this can happen. Is there something missing in the history that is displayed or is there some other explanation.

Just curious about this weirdness that I have seen before.

Reply to
xray

Take a closer look at the > Time < the multiple bides happened after he was outbid.. He kept trying to catch up to the other bid. They are all BOZOs for bidding early, and bidding against each other.

Bid at the LAST SECOND as much as you are willing to spend. That way you cannot get into a bidding war, with two rookies trying to outbid, and only raising the price. Pete

Reply to
3t3d

That person has a max bid rather than actually bidding each iime. EBay's bidding system allows for this and when another guy does a bit that doesn't exceed that max. bid then the price automatically goes up enough to cover that bid the other guy did. Such bids automatically show up as a step up in the bidded price.

Bob May

Look at the dates and times of the bids. They were not listed time order but rather in price order. time order. mr.cp1 US $110.05 Jun-30-05 15:45:36 cvmillworks $176.00 Jul-02-05 14:38:27 mr.cp1 US $128.50 Jul-03-05 20:11:58 mr.cp1 US $142.10 Jul-03-05 20:12:50 mr.cp1 US $152.14 Jul-03-05 20:13:21 mr.cp1 US $165.21 Jul-03-05 20:13:58 wihc101 US $203.60 Jul-04-05 21:26:47 mr.cp1 US $201.10 Jul-05-05 5:21:34 wihc101 US $203.60 Jul-05-05 5:21:43

mr.cpl starts the bidding with 110.05. But only the minimum bid is listed until cvmillworks bids 176.00. The recorded bid on at that time would be just enough to outbid mr.cp1's intial 110.05.

mr.cp1 starts trying to out bid on the 3rd with successive bids of

128.50, 142,10, 152.14, and finally, 165.21 but each time, the previous bid by cvmillworks is recorded as the new bid, though cvmillworks has only bid once, presumably, the max they were willing to pay. Bidding the max you are willing to pay does not mean you have to pay that max. This is a good practice to keep from getting involved in the emotion of the bidding a pay more than you decide you want to pay.

When you see a bid price list, you don't know how much higher than that the bidder has a acutally already bid by proxy. The list value is just the minimum price above the previous high bid.

hope this helps

Reply to
blach00

The first bid was by cvmillworks, for $176.00. But the current bid would only have shown up as $90.00.

mr.cp1 placed successive bids for $110.05, $128.50 etc. and got an "outbid" message automatically fom eBay each time (the so-called "proxy" bidding).

He gave up at $165.21 (the currently shown bid would have been something like $167.71), another guy (wihc101)- the current high bidder at t-13 minutes- came along and bid a higher amount (current bid would have shown as something like $178.50).

mr.cp1 came back on the 5th and bid $201.10, which generated an instant outbid notice and raised the current bid to $203.60.

You can't tell what the winnner or high bidder has bid at this point in time (13 minutes before close), only that it was at least 203.60 (probably more). The only way you can tell what the top bid is if the increase is less than the minimum bid increment.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Several others have explained the bidding history on the auction in question, so I won't belabor that point.

However, if you don't mind a shameless plug, I'll soon be listing a Bison 8"

4-jaw independent plain-back lathe chuck (in very nice condition) on Ebay. Note that since it's plain-back, you'll have to make or purchase an adaptor to mate it to your spindle.

Just thought you might be interested in checking it out. I'll be happy to let you know when I list it if you're interested.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Okay, update, the auction is over and wihc101 bid exactly 237.00. The winner whitetank60 bid at least $239.50, probably more.

Earlier, two idential bids were shown for wihc101 because he want back and raised his bid (bidding against himself, in effect), possibly because he was not going to be at his computer at closing and the current bid was getting close to his reserve bid. His first bid was for $211.00 and the second for $237.00.

Clear as mud?

The only weird thing I've seen in eBay is (I think) a consequence of their distributed computer systems. If two bids come in at very close to the same time (perhaps a second or so apart) and closer to each other than the bid increment, the high bidder may not necessarily win.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Thanks to everyone for the explanations.

I guess I expected the automatic bids to show up as a new entry every time the current higest bidder changed. Now, with the explanations, I understand what I saw.

I was in on the bidding for a Buck chuck a few days ago. I bid only in the last minute with a bid a good bit higher than the price at the time, but not good enough to win. It went for about $20 over my highest bid.

I am looking for another option on a decent 4-jaw, so I may get invovlved in your auction, Michael. This last auction mentioned here was not the proper back for my lathe, so I was already planning on remounting it if I got it.

Reply to
xray

I think the only way one person could up their own bid and have it show, is where the item has a reserve price. When it reaches the reserve, then it follows the logic of "raise it only if someone ELSE does..." / mark

xray wrote:

Reply to
Mark

Nah.. the best way is to bid the max you're willing to spend at the last possible moment- then you cut out the ones who play like mr.cp1, nibbling the bid up. Making a max bid early just ensures that the piece will bring the most money possible (assuming anyone but you is interested in it).

The other point of view I've gained is that there is some stuff that's common enough that being the first bidder (but only at or near the minimun bid) is better- later bidders often will go find their own, same, item.

John

Reply to
JohnM

"Bob May" signed off with:

There is.

Reply to
Mike

What size are you looking for? Ive got 4 jaws coming out my ears.

Gunner

Gunner

Wow!!!

Must cost a fortune when you get your teeth cleaned.........

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

I recently picked up a lathe that has 11" swing. (I talked here about things like replacing the belts -- I went with Fenner link belt and it seems to be fine -- even running backwards as you mentioned.)

It came with a 3-jaw 6" chuck and a face plate, but no 4-jaw. I figured about an 8" 4-jaw chuck would be good for it. The lathe seems to have a

2 1/4" x 8 tpi spindle. If I can find a decent chuck I could deal with finding a backing plate for it to match my lathe.

If you want to email me, Gunner, hit me at rex at xertech dot net. I'm in N. Cal so if we can find a match, shipping shouldn't be bad. Thanks for the reply.

-Rex

Reply to
xray

Yes, I did see that on a different item. Took me a while to figure that one out too.

Reply to
xray

Rex, where in NorCal are you? I'm in the SF Bay Area (Marin County).

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Close but a bit south of you, I'm in San Jose.

-Rex

Reply to
xray

Teeth? what teeth?

Gummer

Gunner

what sort of spindle nose do you have?

Gunner

Gunner

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

I told you (see above). If it wasn't clear, that's a threaded spindle. But I'm willing to replace the backplate if necessary.

-Rex

Reply to
xray