Coach numbers

Often Hornby etc. make a coach model available with several different numbers (e.g. the coronation class ones are 1069/1070/1071). I am fairly new to this and I am not sure if all the coached making up one train should have the same number or should they vary. If the former is true then a problem arises as the brake coaches appear to be numbered 5792 or 6062. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Alexander Lamaison.

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

In message , Alexander Lamaison writes

Every coach should have a different number.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Thank you.

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

Not strictly true. Each of the four Companies had there own numbering system and BR created a fifth. So there could have been a train consisting of:

1500 W1500W S1500S E1500NE M1500SC

Then, in pre-grouping days, some companies (and I'm unsure which) had parallel numbering systems for each of the three classes so there could be a first class number 150, a second class number 150 and a third class number 150

John

In article , Alexander Lamaison writes

Reply to
John Bishop

"John Bishop"

No plain "1500", in steam days, but : -

S1500 + M1500 + E1500 + W1500 + W1500W + S1500S + E1500NE + M1500SC and don't forget, M1500M

Reply to
Roger T.

The suffix identified the coach's 'big four' origin, while the prefix was the current region code, so there wouldn't have been an E1500NE or M1500SC - more like NE1500E or Sc1500M (were the Sc and NE codes around when pre-BR coaches were in service? IIRC those prefixes came along later). Also, there wouldn't have been S1500, M1500, E1500 etc at the same time - just one coach numbered

1500 with the appropriate region prefix.

--

***
*** Updating regularly throughout 2004 Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk) MSN Messenger: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com

Ok, a little confused now. My locomotive is the blue LMS Coronation Scot No.6220 (Hornby R2206) - No longer made. What should I do? This would also be a good time to ask what arrangement or carriages would this train have run with. As far as I can find, the following coaches are the ones meant to go with the locomotive: R4128A - No.1069 - 1st Class R4128B - No.1070 - 1st Class - No longer made R4128C - No.1070/1071 (both at once?) - 1st Class Comp (I'm not sure what that word means) - No longer made R4127A - No.5812- 3rd Class R4127B - No.5814- 3rd Class - No longer made R4127C - No.5792 - 3rd Class Brake - No longer made R4218 - No.6062 - 1st Class Brake R4141 - Nos.3934/3935/5447 - Pack of 2xComps and 1xBrake coaches

To add to the confusion I have found a 3rd Class Brake coach on eBay No.9702 and some other (old looking) ones.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Alex Lamaison

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

In message , John Bishop writes

Someone else has already mentioned that these last two should be the other way around.

If you consider the "number" as including the letters, then these are all different.

Perhaps I should have said that every coach owned by a particular company should have a different number.

Yes, I know about the following, but for all practical modelling purposes, it can be ignored.

The GWR had this sort of numbering system in early days, but it changed it well before the grouping.

Reply to
John Sullivan

In message , Alexander Lamaison writes

Comp is an abbreviation of Composite, i.e. containing both first class and third class seats.

1st class comp is a contradiction in terms.

Reply to
John Sullivan

If you switched to N-gauge no one could read the numbers so it wouldn't matter. If you tried 1-gauge everyone would be so busy Ooo-Aaaring they wouldn't notice. Life is only trying for 4 and 7 mm. people:)

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

"Roger T." > wrote

Nope, there wouldn't be duplication of numbers with different prefixes, but you might get, for instance

E1500, M1501, S1502, W1503 eta al

all the BR regional prefix did was to advise the region to which the coach was allocated.

I suspect there was not duplication of numbers with suffixes either.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Doh!. Of course.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Again, not strictly true.

The prefix showed the region to which the coach was allocated for operational purposes.

The suffix showed the region responsible for maintenance - yes, this was usually the same as the coaches "big four origin", but not necessarily so.

Salty

Reply to
The Old Salt

"The Old Salt" wrote

I'm not convinced of that. I always understood that the suffix indicated the pre-nationalisation origin of the coach.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Yes. BR-built Mark Is had no suffix.

Reply to
MartinS

So, it was possible, and was done IIRC, to see a coach branded, for example W1500S.

An ex Southern coach transferred to the [Shudder] Western [spit] Region. IIRC, this happened on the transfer of the Withered Arm to that mob from Swindon.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Same thing happened with the last Gresley buffets, which spent their final years on the WR too.

--

***
*** Updating regularly throughout 2004 Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk) MSN Messenger: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com
Reply to
Rich Mackin

Nope, the suffix (if there was one) described which 'big four' railway company the coach originated with:

E = LNER S = SR W = GWR M = WR

BR-built stock had no suffix. The operational/maintaining region would have generally been the same, and the prefix showed this.

--

***
*** Updating regularly throughout 2004 Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk) MSN Messenger: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com
Reply to
Rich Mackin

"Roger T." wrote

Yes indeed as this picture shows:-

in this case the ex-LNER Gresley buffet is allocated to the Western Region.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Well it doesn't actually call itself a 1st Class comp but as all the doors I could see were labelled '1' so I just figured. Here it is:

Thanks for your help

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison