Coach numbers

"Alexander Lamaison" wrote

Hornby have traditionally (and incorrectly) referred to any non-brake coach as a composite, and I suspect that's why we've ended up with some pretty useless coach offerings if one wants to make up a prototypical rakes from Hornby coaches.

Incidentally, it's perfectly possible to have a brake composite.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I was thinking of buying this carriage set from eBay:

Do you think this would be reasonably prototypical (I.e. 2x 1st Class and a brake coach). Here is more about it from Hornby:

Would it also be ok to later add extra coaches with numbers in the 1070 region (this pack is in the region of 3900)? Oh that reminds me, one other question I meant to ask: Where abouts in the train was the brake coach positioned (at the back?) and did any trains ever have more than one brake coach?

Thank you for all your help

Alexander Lamaison

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

Just looking at the photo, the window spacing suggests that this is indeed a composite coach. It does seem odd then that there are "1" markings on the doors at both ends, but I'm not in a position to say whether this is prototypical or not.

Graham Farish did/do the Mk1 BCK in N gauge, although they were pretty rare in real life.

Reply to
Dave Fossett

"Alexander Lamaison" wrote

I don't know how the Coronation Scot train was made up so can't answer your query but

Claims LMS Crimson Lake Composite & Brake Coaches - classic case in point - the first class coach is NOT a composite - it is a first class corridor coach.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Dave Fossett" wrote

If it's described as a composite then it should have more than one class of passenger accomodation. If it's only for first class passengers then it's NOT a composite.

Some coaches were reclassified in later years, some first class were downgraded for second class usage, but that wouldn't mean they continued to be classified as first class coaches.

I've got one of the Hornby Gresley "composites" on my layout, but as I didn't want any first class accomodation on that particular train it's had the first class branding removed from the doors. So it now effectively becomes a 2nd corridor (and consequently is no longer a composite coach).

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Makes you wonder if Hornby, gorblessem, use the label 'comps' to refer to compartments...

-- Regards,

Steve Jones, Shropshire, England

Reply to
Steve Jones

"Steve Jones" wrote

But they use it for corridor coaches too! I think they believe it's the term for a non-brake coach. Doh!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , Alexander Lamaison writes

Ah, all is made plain. The description on their web site is wrong. The description in their catalogue is "1st class coach" which is more like it.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Bachmann do one or two in OO.

In olden days you even had a tri-composite, which contained seats of

1st, 2ns and 3rd classes.
Reply to
John Sullivan

It's the same body moulding Hornby has used for its Stanier LMS/MR coaches for many years (very similar to the metal Hornby-Dublo version); it has four 2nd/3rd class comapartments and 3 larger 1st class.

The Hornby LNER Gresley brake is a 1st/3rd composite. The Stanier and Gresley coaches use the same chassis and interior mouldings.

Reply to
MartinS

Nearly always; as mentioned on the uk.railway group some time ago, the Manchester-Hadfield EMUs proved an exception to the rule. Being an LNER design, all coaches first carried, correctly, E as a suffix and prefix. When the LMR decame responsible for the sets, M was the prefix, but coaches were still suffixed E (again, correct). However, a slip-up was perpetuated from the '70s up until withdrawal so that some of the stock incorrectly had M as the suffix too - though not designed or built by the LMS!

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

Some Bulleid stock made its way to the Eastern Region for a while, appearing in lined maroon (*very* rare for SR-built coaches) with E-prefix numbers.

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

"David E. Belcher" wrote

Where were they used please David? Presumably on inter-regional workings - although the stock of Newcastle/York to Poole workings were still "S" prefixed into the 80s despite being in blue/grey livery.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Not sure about the routes they were used on. I have seen photos of maroon ER Bulleids, and can only presume these were displaced from main lines in Kent by EMUs in the late 50s. Interestingly, another wave followed in the mid 60s, but this time they were swapped with Eastern Mk.Is, the undergoing, so it would seem, rebuilding into Bournemouth line MU stock - see;

Don't know what colour the second lot would have been though, as the transfer occurred at the start of the 'blue period' - whether, given their being supplanted by Mk.IIs a few years later, they would have been repainted from green is uncertain.

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

Oops. A 'latter' seems to have been left out between 'the' and 'undergoing'. Sorry about that.

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher