Hornby Mail Coach

I see Hattons is now advertising Hornby's Night Mail train set, with LMS Jinty, operating mail coach (labelled "Night Mail", not "Royal Mail") and an LMS brake/third. Also oval of track with siding, track mat and transformer/controller. All for £64.

Reply to
MartinS

A Jinty?

mark ewe, that was exactly what I had running round my oval in 1961, a Jinty and a triang mail coach, with the flip-put bag collector and everything.

But that was 1961.

Reply to
bobharvey

Basically the same design - less sophisticated than the Hornby Dublo tinplate mailcoach set with electric remote actuation by pushbutton. That's Hornby Railroad for you.

However, I imagine the Jinty has the so-called new and improved 0-6-0 chassis without traction tyres and not enough play in the axles for sharp curves and uneven track. I added weight to the front end of mine to help it take points better. I replaced one point with a warped base that caused it (but not other, larger locos) to derail.

The old 6-coupled tank engines had a forward weight bias, traction tyres on the centre axle, and a sprung floating rear axle that compensated for uneven track. I have a 2-6-4T to that design that runs fine, even without traction tyres, hauling 3 suburban coaches.

Reply to
MartinS