post and papers

I am wanting to add a post / news paper train to my layout, what would a normal set be if modelled in the late 1980s, and what is the main diference between the motor rail Guv and a postal guv like the hornby R6354 and R6355, are there any other guv`s? regards Simon G

Reply to
news.virginmedia.com

I dunno, honest, guv. ;-)

Reply to
MartinS

The newspaper trains on the South Western at that time were formed of Mk1 full brakes with Newspaper markings, Mk1 half brake for passengers and hauled by 33's and 73's. The Portsmouth one divided at Havant with one part continuing to Portsmouth and Southsea low level and the other to Barham.

I would imagine GUV differences would be internal layout and livery as they were based on the same vehicle.

Sure both have been covered in Model Rail over the years in much greater detail and of course there were regional differences.

Reply to
Chris

I thought that the Barham was sunk in WW2. Barnham, perhaps.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thought that was WW1 and yes Barnham.

Reply to
Chris

1941, I think.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Yes 25th November 1941 torpedoed by U-331, see:

its final death as it exploded
Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

If I remember correctly it was the sinking of the Barham, and its exposure before the news was announced, that caused the last witchcraft trial in the UK.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

There was one more:

AIUI, strictly speaking the trial wasn't for witchcraft as such, it was more for a form of fraud (it being assumed that witchcraft didn't exist).

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

There was a news item in the Grauniad the other day about the RC Church in the USA wanting to recruit more exorcists - they don't have enough.

Witchcraft may not exist, but possession by evil spirits does, apparently.

Reply to
MartinS