A Neat Slot Car and Trains Layout

All,

Check out this very cool slot car and trains HO layout that's for sale on eBay. With all the discussion about the Superman movie layout, perhaps you all might be interested in this one.

I believe that one of the most pleasing things about building a layout is the town and scenery. Imagine a town where all the roads are a NASCAR racetrack !! (: (: I know this one won't please the rivet counters, but this is a fantasy layout at its' utmost fun best.

Check this out. The builder has obviously put quite a bit of thought into the neat scenes. I wish him well in his sale.

Best Regards,

Robert

Robert B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Wow! I like it. Obviously a lot of fun for a youngster (or even a senior citizen like me). Thanks for sharing, Robert.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,100 sites:

BillsRREmpire

"Won't please the rivet counters"? With the track as it is, it doesn't appear that the trains are operable. They're props for the slot cars.

Reply to
richard schumacher

You certainly are correct with regard to the rivet counters. That's the group I'm in.

Captain Handbrake

Reply to
Captain Handbrake

Nice children's toy.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

I don't know that I qualify as a rivet counter but I would be horrified to discover that thing in my train room. Might be fun for some folks or kids but even as a child I would not have been very impressed. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Why not let the military minatures crowd in on the fun too. It's got

1/87 HO scale trains and 1/64th HO scale slot cars add in a working 1/72nd HO working mortar..

Fun can be had by all.

Eric

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan

There will always be those who do not care, and those do not, or cannot, discriminate, between artful modeling and toys. Not everyone sees the world through the same lens. I would not build a thing like that, because it does not cater to any need that I have. It is strictly a toy, a very nice toy, but it has nothing to hold my interest. Other people, whose interest lies in other directions look at it for thirty seconds and say, "Wow, neat!" Then they move on and forget all about it. This board tries to be all things to all people who have any sort of interest in trains, whether they be toys or so-called "museum quality" fine-scale models. The "rivet-counters", the "good-enoughers" and the toy train buffs will always be at odds. Add to that a collection of clueless individuals and a cadre of those who feel the need to flog-off their nonsensical and one-sided political points of view on every subject, and you have the recipe for Moose Turd Pie.

Captain Handbrake

Reply to
Captain Handbrake

s'good, though

Reply to
Steve Caple

( sarcasm ON ) At least with "moose turd " pies, it's kept to one type of turd for the perfectionist. No mixing of dog or cats turds, no buffalo or deer turds.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder but that picture of that layout just looks like crap to me.

( sarcasm OFF )

Reply to
the OTHER Mike

And just to add another gem from ebay:

Like it says: A Must See For Train Enthusiasts - huge- complete ( really love the backwards flag on about the 27th photo )

Yes, I know I souldn't be ugly about these things but when they post as a "must see" and Huge" it's irks me to no end when I open the auction and find crap like this.

Reply to
the OTHER Mike

Is that a smokestack it's fastened to or did somebody stretch the Washington Monument?

Reply to
Steve Caple

Oh my god - the horror! the horror!!

Another >> "Won't please the rivet counters"? With the track as it is, it doesn't

And on and on and on...

Well DUH!!!! What a bunch of crabby old farts. LISTEN TO YOURSELVES! GET A LIFE!!

The guy posted about a slot car layout with the classic 4X8 plywood town on the web that had a bunch of pictures. He thought it was "fun" (obviously not a concept that is understood in this miserable, bitter news group), and that someone else might enjoy a look.

Jeeze Louise, no wonder the model train hobby is dying...

I just found this group, having retired after 40 years, and am looking forward to finally enjoying the hobby my Dad introduced me to in the

50's with the wonderful 027 Lionel trains he got for me. And then with the first few HO trains I bought in the 60's.

Clearly I have made a mistake. The idea of train layouts and "fun" and "enjoyment" etc, etc is _not_ permitted here in this news group.

Oh well, thanks for reading my post. As it is somewhat angry and annoyed, I'm sure it will fit right it here and be the source of a thread that will descend into personal insults and attacks that will go on for weeks and weeks.

Enjoy!

A less crabby old fart

Reply to
Old Fart

The owner probably was proud of his efforts, however amateurish they may look to most of us. I like looking at layouts like these because it makes me feel *SO* much better about my efforts!

fl@liner This tagline has been certified to contain no political rants.

Reply to
fubar

Well, that's a sensible response. You encounter an opinion you don't agree with, so you scream "GET A LIFE!"in reply. Very clever. What exactly does that mean, "get a life"?

Perhaps he would have been better served posting this to rec.model.crappyslotcarlayouts, then.

According to whom? Someone who was last involved with it as a child in the 1950s?

*Descend* into personal insults and attacks? Too late - you've already started out with those.

Reply to
mark_newton

Oh, dear. Those evil rivet counters are at it again. What part of the hobby have they ruined now?

I used to regard "rivet counter" as a rather inane insult, meaning someone who knows more about the prototype than the person doing the insulting. But maybe it also means someone who builds much better and more convincing models than the person doing the insulting?

Reply to
mark_newton

rec.model.crappyslotcarlayouts,

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The only people I see leaving the "hobby' of "model railroading" are the ones who collect a garage full of trains but when it comes time to do something more than lifelike neon green grass sawdust and plasticville buildings, they realize they can't do squat. Instead of asking for advice or guidance, they would rather sell all their stuff than actually learn something. by putting forth the effort to gain experience. ( usually becauase the embarassment it would cause them for shooting off their mouth for so many years.) I really don't consider them either model railroaders or railroad modelers. Just owning the models does not make one a model railroader.

But thank heavens for those guys, they keep the hobby shops in business and I can usually get their stuff at twenty cents on the dollar at a garage sale.

If anything, I see more people involved in the hobby than ever.

.
Reply to
the OTHER Mike

Sorry about that, but neither I, nor a number of the others, is going to pretend that only the thought and effort count. All the effort and good intentions in the world will not compensate for poor workmanship and poor planning. Like I said in a previous post, this board tries to be all things for all people who have any interest whatever in model trains. That is absurd, and can never happen. This thread proves it, for the millionth time. There will never a group consensus that so-and-so's model work is wonderful, or great, or perfect, or any other superlative. The toy-train group and the good-enoughers will carry-on that "so-and-so is a friggin' rivet-counter who needs to get a life." The rivet-counters will disparage the childish and amateurish playthings submitted by the toy train crowd and the good-enoughers, who ". . .need to get a life and quit embarrassing the hobby by acting stupid." There is a group of subscribers (P) who will always put-down the ones who treat model trains as toys. There is another group (T) who will always suffer indignation at the actions of the previously mentioned (P) group.

This is an un-moderated news group. That means it is total anarchy. There is no such thing as "permitted" or "not permitted", except that most ISPs will not permit binaries to be posted to discussion groups, which this is. Some people will like and appreciate what you do, others will not. This is true no matter what you do. There will be comments both pro and con on virtually every topic that comes up here. Such is the nature of an un-moderated news group with such a broad base of subscribers. What you post, and how you respond to the responses you get, is completely up to you. But know this: The concept of equality and political correctness does not live here. You do NOT get an A for effort here. You only get an A if you truly earn and deserve an A. If you are a mature and sensible individual who can cope with such an environment, there may be something for you here. If you have fantasies of a politically correct environment that is nurturing to all who participate, then you are in for a very rude awakening. Such a pace does not exist in the real universe. It certainly does not exist in this news group.

There is a difference between crabby and frank. Frank is the one wearing the black hat.

Captain Handbrake

Reply to
Captain Handbrake

"Old Fart" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Old Fart,

Well of course your post fits right in. Making statements that actually express ones thoughts are the norm here. I'd rather be around this motley mob at RMR than many other groups on the web full of moderated wussified PC boys. Some of us might be regarded as crabby, opinionated, rude or insensitive. There are also very nice people here who never upset anyone. Even though this group is smaller these days you have a chance to get a better range of diversified information from people here about model railroading and trains than many other places. Even if they are free to put the torch to things they don't like or disagree with. To test this out just ask an in depth or odd ball question about model railroading or trains here and ask the same question on the huge very PC MR forum. Here you will tend to more often get some real answers or direction other than "try a google search" or nice but non helpful "star" building comments. Or post a link to a picture of some kind of crap here and the same to the MR forum. Here you may get opinion that might not be PC. Over there you will tend to get numerous "posts of praise", "that's cools", "that a boys" and "your doing a great job Brownies". You may even get an "outstanding", good work", and a "way to go" if you post a picture of your new common RTR plastic diesel that you just bought. If you expect someone to tell you what they think this is the place. If you want folks to be considerate and say only what they think will not offend anyone there are better places to go. Some of us do go at each other on RMR. When we post what someone else perceives as crap, controversial, a bleeding heart complaint, an antagonistic rant, a modeling manifesto, unsupported or inaccurate information or social-political statements all sorts of opinion will fly. Though I don't remember anyone here getting flamed for posting a link to an example of excellence, of note of real interest, or information of real value except by one guy who we've not seen for a long while. Be it 3 rail O scale, rivet counting HO or anything else it can be done well or done poorly and it will draw a range of opinion or comment here. Speaking of grouchy, opinionated, ranting prople I really miss that truly grumpy bull terrier Rathburne. I hope that sorry SOB is OK. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

No, mark, it's an insult all right. It refers to the those people (and that's an compliment) who believe that knowing more about the prototype and building much better and more convincing models somehow makes them superior to everybody else. Fact is, I've known a lot of people with a vastly larger fund of knowledge of the prototype than myself, people who've built much better and more convincing models than I can, and some who combined both these qualities. Very, very few of them were rivet counters, though.

I don't expect everybody to like the same things, but you should be able to appreciate a thing for what it is, regardless of whether you like it.

I don't what it is about the internet, but people will write things they wouldn't dream of saying to someone in person.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir