New website

We have a new website that is going to be a good one. If you guys are looking for a place to chat and talk about any scale Model RR this is the
place for it. http://www.thewhistlepost.com/

I thought THIS was the place for that sort of thing <vbg>.
On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 15:10:54 GMT, "Brian Smith"

This tagline has been certified to contain no political rants.
fl@tliner replied: Sadly, I remember this newsgroup generating well over 100 (mostly) on topic posts per day... ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those were enjoyable times. One could learn a lot and help others. I especially remember Big John, Peter King, <>Tom<>, and Mike Usoff.
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Model Railroad Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Resources--Links to 1,100 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links
On 2 Jul 2006 14:46:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Peter and <<<<Tom>>>> are still very active in another venue where they don't have to contend with puckerbutts. I believe Mike pops up here occasionally (if not more often). And... we all sorely miss Big!
fl@liner This tagline has been certified to contain no political rants.

I think Mike Usoff died in 03. He sold his railroad in April of 02 to someone in Georgia.
Captain Handbrake
snipped-for-privacy@ACL.com wrote:

>>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Bill replied: Those were enjoyable times. One could learn a lot and help others. I especially remember Big John, Peter King, <>Tom<>, and Mike Usoff.
fl@tliner replied: Peter and <<<<Tom>>>> are still very active in another venue wherethey don't have to contend with puckerbutts. I believe Mike pops up here occasionally (if not more often). And... we all sorely miss Big!
Captain Handbrake replied: I think Mike Usoff died in 03. He sold his railroad in April of 02 to someone in Georgia. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I was saddened when Mike Usoff passed away.He was with the group through most of his illness. Regarding Peter King back in May:
"kt0t wrote: I just visited the Flying Scotsman Hobbies web site, http://www.fshobby.com/ , the shop owned by Peter King, and learned that Peter is in treatment for Acute myelogenous leukemia."
Let's hope that Peter recovers.
I left John Sheridan's name off the "oldies" list! What a group this was back then!
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Model Railroad Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Resources--Links to 1,100 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links
On 2 Jul 2006 20:16:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Peter is doing fine. He is recovering nicely.
Captain Handbrake
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

A little bird told me about Bill's post. I'm flattered to be mentioned along with the above distinguished gentlemen.
I am still around, although don't have much opportunity to post, or even lurk here.
Some of you may know that I'm currently being treated for leukemia. I spent the month of January in the hospital, and several months at home. In the beginning of June, I was readmitted to the hospital for a stem cell transplant, which is the modern equivalent of a bone marrow transplant.
I'm still in the hospital, it's a long process to make sure the transplant was effective, and to prevent future complications. I'm happy to say that everything is going as well as it possibly could. I am now on day 20 of the 100 day critical period. I've had very few side effects, and those that I've had have been mild. I've also been receiving outstanding care here, particularly from the wonderful nurses.
If things continue to go well, I'll be out of here in a week or so. I'll still have a long period before my life is 100% normal again, but I'm confident that will happen.
Thanks for remembering me. It makes me feel good.
Peter King (still in NY)
snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I'm pleased that things are going well, Peter. It's always comforting to receive good news.
As for remembering you, Peter, your postings and replies were always in good taste and one cannot forget the memorial to Big John that was certainly an outstanding effort on your part.
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Model Railroad Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Resources--Links to 1,100 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links

Well done Peter - keep it up!
Good to know you've got it 'licked'. I am mainly a 'Lurker' here, but do remember your posts in the past.
I'm a survivor too - 35 years after being told I had 6 months to live!......
I had the 'big C' in my Teens, 3 times (including Leukemia), so I know it's not too pleasant to get rid of. I had Radiotherapy, 2 operations, then courses of Chemo' with lots of drugs to finish off - all before I was 20.
I had a minor heart-attack at the age of 30, mainly brought on through stress (no surprises there then!). Unfortunately the treatments also made me sterile, in the days before they had a deep-freeze for samples!
I now have 1 kidney left, and high blood pressure, which is under control with 7 tablets a day - a small price to pay for the happy and extended life I've enjoyed so far (I will be 50 in September).
I've had everything likely to kill me by now, so I'm going to live to at least 100 - what about you?
All my best to you Peter,
David French / Greenarrow.
Yes, Bill.... And Gegg, The Sheriff, SailLoco, and host of interesting characters.... sad too bad they all have gone to other forums or given up in disgust for the reasons stated above.. :-(
Steve
replied:

On 3 Jul 2006 00:56:54 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com"

Why bother with this list when there are more useful venues out there? Those who are serious about the quality of their modeling; the ones who regard it as an art-form rather than a toy, can find those venues.This one has run its course and is not very useful anymore for anything beyond idle chatter. For proof of that, simply read this thread.

Captain Handbrake
The point I was making is that there are other venues that are a lot worse than R.M.R
The best point of R.M.R is that it isn't owned by anyone and you don't have to kow-kow to anyone's self-inflated ego. Try accurately describing Bachmann products on their forum and see how long it stays there.
Eric
snipped-for-privacy@ACL.com wrote:
"Why bother with this list when there are more useful venues out there? Those who are serious about the quality of their modeling; the ones who regard it as an art-form rather than a toy, can find those venues.This one has run its course and is not very useful anymore for anything beyond idle chatter. For proof of that, simply read this thread."
Funny, but about five-six years ago, we had quite a discussion here about how a newsgroup had a certain "life." It started, grew to maturity, was in its prime for a while then was overrun with junk, offtopic posts and spam. People would begin to drift away and finally the group would shrink in size and importance.
It would be fun to go back and read the posts related to that discussion as that pretty much sums up what seems to have happened here. : (
dlm

Captain, I see your posts most every I check in. Must be some reason you continue to stop by RMR. Yes this group was once much larger and full of interesting people that are missed. But there was a lot more ranting, flaming and discontent. Many more trolls too. Much more than there has been over the past year or too. We all remember the Sheriff. He spent almost all his time on RMR cleaning the group and turning in spammers. Toward the end of his time on RMR just about every post he made was about spam, spammers, trolls or how he tracked them down and turned them in to the ISP's. I remember a few years ago while a good bit smaller this place was still active and there seemed to be a number of new guys joining in. That's when the many personalities of Epperson manifested invading numerous threads. His viscous attacks seemed to go on forever. It seems to me that's when quite a few of the remaining long time guys called it quits and left for good. There are so many more destinations these days with the all the forums and numerous special interest groups too. The most popular forum seems to be over at MR and there are a number of very knowledgeable, accomplished hobbyists who participate. Buts it's so highly moderated it's largely a celebration of mediocrity. Bruce
Bruce Favinger wrote:
"The most popular forum seems to be over at MR and there are a number of very knowledgeable, accomplished hobbyists who participate. Buts it's so highly moderated it's largely a celebration of mediocrity."
And it has the damn six overexposed crappy photos that seems to be obligatorily attached to every post. Takes forever to load.
Eric
Bruce Favinger wrote:
> There are so many more destinations these days with the all the > forums and numerous special interest groups too. The most popular > forum seems to be over at MR and there are a number of very > knowledgeable, accomplished hobbyists who participate. Buts it's so > highly moderated it's largely a celebration of mediocrity.
You're not wrong, Bruce. Not only that, but much of the prototype 'information' that is posted there would be far better described as misinformation. It never ceases to amaze me how many people will repeatedly weigh into a discussion on a topic they know absolutely sweet-fuck-all about. But when you ask them to back up their posts with some evidence, they go all shy and retiring...
Cheers,
Mark.

Do you like the format of the MR forums? I don't... or else I haven't figured them out. It seems like if you post something, it takes quite a bit of effort to get back to where you were just before posting. Kind of annoying trying to navigate to me. But then, maybe I'm missing something.
dlm