Mounting coach bogies

We are probably all aware of commercial coaches, which have the bogie mounting central to the bogie. I have just bought a used coach where the mounting for the bogie has been extended such that the part which attaches to the bottom of the coach is above the front axle, rather than between the two axles.

Why? Is there any advantage, or even disadvantage? Just curious really, as the coach rides well. I'm just not sure why a previous owner would have taken the trouble to relocate the mounting point. Perhaps there is less coach overhang on curves, but it could be my imagination. The coach in question is 7mm rather than 4, and is 18 inches long, but that doesn't alter the basic question.

Reply to
Graeme Eldred

Not your imagination, almost certainly the reason, reduces chance of buffer locking on small diameter curves.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

That was quick! :-) Thank you - yes, obvious when thought about, but does raise a further question - why is mounting the bogies in that manner not standard, particularly for 'toy trains', where sharp curves prevail. Perhaps there is a not so obvious disadvantage?

Reply to
Graeme Eldred

IIRC, some Rivarossii North American passenger cars have the pivot point over the second axle on two axle trucks (bogies) and over the third on three axle.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Because non-locking non-prototype couplings were preferred, easier to remotely uncouple. And today's prototypes are non-locking of course. But I recall seeing it on cheap tinplate stuff as a child, it was old then, probably early post- or pre- WW1. And I'm sure I've seen it more recently on a remotely-steered road vehicle, will run straight without input.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

By reducing the end throw in this way and hence reducing the likelihood of buffer locking, you increase the centre throw so the coach would need more clearance for example from a platform on the inside of a curve.

Reply to
John Nuttall