Bachmann Decoders

Hi All, Apologies if there's been a discussion about this before, but I can't track it down.

I recently purchased a couple of Bachmann 4 function decoders (cat. no.

36-550) to "compare and contrast" with my normal Lenz kit.

I've got a couple of problems and was wondering if anyone can help.

I fitted the decoder to a tried and tested 37/0. Without any changes to the decoder CV's the motor was very noisy, as well as lacking in fine slow speed control. I turned on the "silent drive" (CV50=8) and although the motor was now running quietly, there were other problems. Sometimes it wouldn't go at all. When it did, the speed control was highly irregular, sometimes remaining at slow speed, sometimes staying at fast speed. Sometimes it wouldn't stop, except after running on for a few feet - this was exceedingly erratic, as to how far it ran on! Sometimes it wouldn't change direction, even though the controller direction had been changed. I then disabled the "silent drive" and it returned to being noisy and having no fine slow speed. The same symptoms occur with another Bachmann decoder.

I double checked the loco with a Lenz 1025 and it was absolutely fine - quiet and controllable.

I'm using a Lenz Compact to test it out.

Any help/comments appreciated.

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

The only Bachmann decoder I've got is the one which was factory fittted to the Class 25 and it performs exactly as you have described above. I will eventually get around to cutting out all the redundant capacitors, etc, eventually but haven't done so yet. To the best of my knowledge there is no silent drive option in the version I've got.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"Mick Bryan" wrote

These were originally configured with exactly the same values as the identical Lenz LE1014E. Bachmann in their infinite wisdom have changed all of that (to save having to remove capacitors from their digital ready locos I believe) and as a result they've ended up with something all but useless in any other locos (including their own).

Characteristics of the newly configured decoders are poor low speed control, buzzing etc.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"kim" wrote

They have a built in version of the non-silent drive LE1000 decoder, and control can be improved by snipping ALL of the capacitors, but what a daft design - why were they not omitted to start with?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The 36-550 decoder carries a "1014" sticker, in the same way that the Lenz

1025 has a "1025" on it!! Maybe, it's old stocks of the 1014 in Bachmann packaging?! (I also forgot to mention in my OP that the default direction is to pot - "Forwards" is to the no.2 end)

I've got a reply from Bachmann as follows:

The suppression capacitors on the motor absorb the high frequency PWM of 'Silent Drive' and cause the problem. The solution is to follow the Lenz advice to us and remove the capacitors, the decoder has suppression circuitry. You can change the direction of 'forwards' in CV29. The decoder instructions have the details.

So it's out with the cutters...........

Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

"Mick Bryan" wrote

The LE1014 and the 36-550 decoders are IDENTICAL [1] in terms of appearance, but the latest Bachmann ones (in plastic boxes) are configured differently to the original Bachmann 36-550 (in polythene bags) and to current and previous Lenz LE1014 decoders. My experience suggests the latest Bachmann decoders are to be avaoided.

John.

[1] I think the 1014 sticker on the Lenz & Bachmann decoders are different in colour, although they both originate from Lenz.
Reply to
John Turner

There is a note in the instructions that state "blue" (1014) sticker..... presumably to stop anyone sending a *true* Lenz 1014 back! And yes, they're in plastic boxes......

I have now removed all the capacitors from the 37 and it is now doing as it should.

I then tried it on a Hornby 31. Fine apart from having to set some acceleration/deceleration delays.

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan