chain drive lathe

So why couldn't one replace that dumb ol' flat belt on an old lathe with
roller chain? I seem to remember that roller chain drives don't offer
perfectly smooth power transfer, but is it going to be a big deal? The
biggest loss, for me anyway, would be the loss of slippage when crashing
the carriage but the advantages of no slippage/shucking of the belt
under heavy load seem attractive.
John
Reply to
JohnM
The one negative to consider is the pattern that would develop from the chain. It could very well manifest itself in the finish of the machined part. Or not.
Harold
Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos
Chain drives are quite common on single and multispindle automatic lathes.Both roller chain and inverted tooth type are used.
Reply to
mark
My Logan 8" shaper is final chain drive. You can just discern the pattern in the finish. It's still very good, but I wouldn't like it on my lathe. When everything's right, the lathe finish is excellent.
Pete Keillor
Reply to
Pete Keillor
Cause it would be noisy as hell, and speed changes would be time consuming too.
I have a large horizontal mill (7.5hp) that had a "silent chain" drive from the motor to the countershaft. I needed to wear hearing protection when it was running. I converted it to v-belts and now it's nice & quiet.
Tony
Reply to
Tony
Base on personal experience it will eventually if not at first. Roller chain is not a constant speed power transmitter except in one case. That's when the exact same sprocket is used as the drive and the driven. That's fine when everything's new. However the chain soon wears just a little and there goes the smooth power transmission. The resulting pulsations most definitely show up in the finish on lathe work (don't ask how I know).
Reply to
Wayne Cook
Thanks, Harold, and everyone else with thoughts on the subject. At least I have an option to the belt if I decide I can't stand it any longer.
John
Reply to
JohnM