chain drive lathe

So why couldn't one replace that dumb ol' flat belt on an old lathe with roller chain? I seem to remember that roller chain drives don't offer perfectly smooth power transfer, but is it going to be a big deal? The biggest loss, for me anyway, would be the loss of slippage when crashing the carriage but the advantages of no slippage/shucking of the belt under heavy load seem attractive.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Jim Wilkins

The one negative to consider is the pattern that would develop from the chain. It could very well manifest itself in the finish of the machined part. Or not.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Chain drives are quite common on single and multispindle automatic lathes.Both roller chain and inverted tooth type are used.

Reply to
mark

My Logan 8" shaper is final chain drive. You can just discern the pattern in the finish. It's still very good, but I wouldn't like it on my lathe. When everything's right, the lathe finish is excellent.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Cause it would be noisy as hell, and speed changes would be time consuming too.

I have a large horizontal mill (7.5hp) that had a "silent chain" drive from the motor to the countershaft. I needed to wear hearing protection when it was running. I converted it to v-belts and now it's nice & quiet.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

timing belt?

Reply to
ff

Base on personal experience it will eventually if not at first. Roller chain is not a constant speed power transmitter except in one case. That's when the exact same sprocket is used as the drive and the driven. That's fine when everything's new. However the chain soon wears just a little and there goes the smooth power transmission. The resulting pulsations most definitely show up in the finish on lathe work (don't ask how I know).

Reply to
Wayne Cook

Thanks, Harold, and everyone else with thoughts on the subject. At least I have an option to the belt if I decide I can't stand it any longer.

John

Reply to
JohnM