Flat belt for lathe

Friend of mine has an old F.E. Wells & Son Co. wood lathe that uses a flat belt. Well, it broke and he and his grandson are dead in the water on a project. It is 1.375 wide by 70" in length. He found someone that would make 2 for $105. Minimum charge deal. Any other sources?

michael

Reply to
michael

Try a serpentine belt from the auto parts store. I have also seen a rifle sling used.

Reply to
keith bowers

Purchase the leather from McMaster Carr. Skive the ends with a milling machine, knife, or a plane. Glue the joint with leather cement. Alternatively lace with leather laces by hand, or use the belt clips.

Jim

jim rozen

Try

, I just bought a 71" x 2" from them today for $46...half the cost of two local suppliers, and they shipped today, not in the 6 weeks quoted from locals. This was a heavy Panther.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Hudson belting (508) 756-0090 they are in

85 E Worcester St Worcester, MA they made a belt for my SB for $15.00, shipped the next day.
Reply to
Wayne

Take a fast trip down to the autoparts store for a 70" serpintine poly V belt. Pull the spindle, (if needed), install the belt either upside down or rightside up. Replace spindle as needed. Adjust belt tension, and dont worry about it for another 40 yrs. It can indeed be narrower by a significant amount without loosing any traction.

Hell..if you wernt in a hurry..Id dig around in that 4' x 4' by 4' deep box of belts I have and send you one gratis. It would be a cogged belt, likely, but simply run it upside down. Shrug

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Excellent Idea! Military style with the hooks would work pretty well turned hooks up. Might clink a smidge..wouldnt cause any damage.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Suggestions for belt have been sent along.

What would we do without each other?

Thanks everyone.

michael

Reply to
michael

Hey Mike,

Unless this belt literally crumbled to dust, why not just skive (cut it beveled and on a bias) each end of the break, get some contact cement, apply glue, wait for a few minutes, glue it together, and then hand stitch (sew it) through the glued area. If this would shorten the belt too much, then get an old leather pants belt and splice it in the same way too. Should work for a temporary anyway, to get them through the "project".

Take care.

Brian Laws>Friend of mine has an old F.E. Wells & Son Co. wood lathe that uses a

Reply to
Brian Lawson

McMaster has them:

David Malicky

Brian Lawson snipped-for-privacy@mnsi.net

Yes. Or maybe a short piece of pants belt attached (rivet, sew) to the outside of the broken belt. Or two 42" or so pants belts cut and attached together (you can drill lines of three or four small holes near the four ends, and sew the two together). Frank Morrison

Reply to
Fdmorrison

Emergency belt - slightly OT: Driving to the EP airport in old '69 VW bug

3:00 am to catch red-eye flight, fan belt broke 10 miles from airport. Removed necktie, wrapped around pulleys in the dark, tied square knot, got to airport on time with engine cool and generator still charging. Arrived SF no necktie. Love them VW's.
Reply to
David Anderson

mcmaster carr also custom makes belts, I bought one for our surface grinder.

Reply to
Jon Grimm

I suggested rivet and sewing ideas when first approached last Friday. Also discussed making some hinges from sheet by making appropriate slots in 2 pieces & folding them over, use some rod for the pin, then rivets to the belt. He went searching for sources & ideas over the weekend and the 2 for $106 was the last I heard. Probably see him tomorrow, have sent along all suggestions from one of the greatest pools of knowledge I've been party to. Has anyone posed a query to this group and not gotten helped? We'll see what happens.

Thanks again, folks.

michael

Reply to
michael

Now, I'm really pissed that I didn't think of that! Were were you YESTERDAY, before I ordered one from Georga. Please answer my next problem NOW, before I spend too much again!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Tom, if you ever need cogged belts, or heavy industrial belts, send me the sizes and Ill go "diving" into the bin. I think Im down to about

900 belts.

Ive also got a huge amount of Double Sided Cog Belts that would be great for guys making tracks for their robots etc.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

What a GUY! How's you? Quit smoking and no more Mountain Dew!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

He bit the bullet and ordered the 2 endless belts for $106 plus tax, license, dealer prep, destination fees, ...

Was appreciative of the efforts, says thanks.

michael

Reply to
michael