needing to find source of titanium

I'm trying to find a good source for 0.040 or 0.050 titanium. I'd like to find it in scrap quantities as it will significantly be lesser cost than a full sheet

Preferrably something local to Vancouver, British Columbia or northern parts of Washington

any suggestions are greatly appreciated thx

Reply to
Brad

Boeing Surplus, just south of Seattle, always has titanium sheet. Cost is around $8 (US) per lb.

0.040" CP-1 sheet is pretty common in their racks. Sometimes they have 6Al4V
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ive been told about them. For what im making i was told to get .040 6a14v.. and to not use cp 1,2,or 3. Problem is i dont know what those numbers really mean so im gonna be sure to stick to what i was recommended. lol

Seeing that they are a bit of a distance from me, would you know if they ship?

Reply to
Brad

No, they surely dont ship--I doubt if they even inventory....

The place is more like a junk yard / garage sale type operation.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Check out Ebay in the following catagory:

Home > All Categories > Business & Industrial > Metalworking > Raw Materials & Scrap > Titanium

Several vendors are selling scrap and cut offs, some with cert sheets available.

Jim Vrzal Holiday,Fla.

Reply to
mawdeeb

CP-1,2, and 3 are Chemically Pure grades. CP-1 being the best.

6al4V means 6% Aluminum, and 4% Vanadium. It is used for armor and where high strength is needed.

It is very difficult to machine or bend. Welding isn't too bad as long as you know the process.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

That is more clear then.. the titanium im needing is going to HAVE to be curved. Might you have any tips or web links on doing that ? thx

Reply to
Brad

6AL4V can be curved, but not bent at a right angle. If you try to bend it at a sharp bend it will snap.

It will take a very strong pressbrake to do it.

Any large industrial forming or stamping shop could shape it for you.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

If you are forming any compound curves, you will need to heat the Ti up to the superplastic range and form it while hot. But simple bends in .040 should not be all that big a problem. I formed some Ti that was a little thinner with a mallet.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster