Emco Injection Molder Heater Coil?

I am trying to save a benchtop Emco Model 250 injection molder for a shop teacher (plunger type). The wires are broken and the insulation is worn off. I did a bunch of Googling but was unable to find any outfits that service Emco injection molders or a website for the company. I did find one ebay seller who might be able to find something based on diameter. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
ATP

It's probably a standard band heater. Try a supplier such as Watlow or Tempco (Chicago) or Rama (West coast) or their distributors. You'll need the width, diameter, voltage and wattage and type of termination (sounds like wires rather than studs).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Thanks. It looks like it is inside the barrel, it has a little temperature gauge on the front. I'll look a bit harder to see if I can get it apart.

Reply to
ATP

Hey Speff,

By the way, how did you ever make out with yours? Is it running OK?

Take care.

Brian Laws>>

Reply to
Brian Lawson

If it is nickel-chromium resistance wire, you can get 1/4 lb spools in various gages from MSC or McMaster-Carr to rebuild it. Likewise glass cloth if that is what the insulation is, or you can find that with the Bondo at Wal-Mart.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Send me pictures of the blown heater. Ive got bushel baskets full of brand new heaters..Big Chief, Calrod, etc.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Ha, languishing at the moment with other projects ahead of it. A buddy keeps dropping bags of plastic over to get me to put some priority on it (just got another 44lbs yesterday). I've picked up a dryer and a motor for the phase converter.

IHCO (International Heater) in the NYC area (Brooklyn, I think) is another heater supplier. We used to sell their stuff- they could make a custom heater of just about any size up, provided the watt-density was within the normal range for mica band heaters, in a few days, and the prices were reasonable.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Maybe a cartridge heater- which looks like a rod with two wires close spaced coming out of one end. It would be stuck in a hole.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I went through this not long ago. Several companies sell/sold this equipment. The manufacturer does not sell to individuals, only through companies that cater to the needs of "shop" teachers, Broodhead Garret is one of the companies that sell their products. By providing them with the part number they were able to supply me with the replacement part. They should be able to help you determine the part number and aquire the part. Another option is to remove the heater tube from the unit and find one of the same size and voltage in an Omega catalog. Rick

Reply to
Rhbuxton