What parts can I save from a scrap injection molder?

I am purchasing a 500-ton (clamping force) injection molder made in Japan, as scrap machinery. Weight appx. 50,000 lbs. I wonder, however,
what parts from it can I save that can be actually resold.
For example:
- 50 HP hydraulic pumps - Clamp cylinder (a huge hydraulic cylinder) - Hydraulic valves
While they seem attractive, I doubt that I will ever find a buyer for those. Any other ideas?

What's the size, compression ratio, volume, and condition of the screw and housing (and heater and screw motor)?
Lloyd
On 2014-06-06, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

Lloyd, I honestly do not know. I know that it is old.

Offer the screw, housing, heater, and maybe the screw drive motor to an injection screw rebuilder. They'll pay more than scrap for it, even if it's not a lot.
Lloyd

I should have added, that screws and housings in good condition are quite valuable, not only intrinsically, but because they are "refurbishable" less expensively than new, and end up in brand new condition afterwards.
Lloyd
On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 20:23:04 -0500, Ignoramus30385

The straining rods are 4140. I've made many parts out of press straining rods. Not positive, but I bet the plattens are 4140 also.
Is it old enough to have timer relays? I guess not worth much, but they are built for 10,000,000s of cycles.
LOTS of hydraulic parts,
Karl

This is a great idea.
On 6/5/2014 6:23 PM, Ignoramus30385 wrote:

If the heat exchanger is still good, you might be able to find an interested party.
Paul

I spent all day working on it to get it ready for moving, and parting out.
Here's what I have decided to take:
1) Two hydraulic pumps 30 an 37 kW 2) Hydraulic heat exchanger 3) Two hydraulic cylinders, one operating the clamp or die, another one operating the feed screw 4) Miscellaneous steel bars for making those infamous "welding tables". 5) (not decied yet) Maybe I will take the hydraulic motor that runs the feed screw. Any thoughts on this last one?

What kind of shaft does it have?
I bought a used involute-splined hydraulic pump cheap and then had to machine a matching broach to mount a pulley on it. Surplus Center didn't have anything that would fit.
-jsw
Q: What parts can I save from a scrap injection molder? A: All of them.
    Now, the better question is "Which ones _should_ you save?" to which the answer is "the working or useful bits". -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
On 6/5/2014 8:23 PM, Ignoramus30385 wrote: ...

What does it hurt other than just a little time? I'd think the hydraulics wouldn't be very hard at all to get rid of. How big is "huge" on the cylinder? Altho the distance is an issue.

140mm piston diameter, appx 3 feet stroke,

That'll split some big firewood!
-jsw

Maybe I should build a nice log splitter from all the crap I have laying around, and sell it. I have pretty much everything.

They're simple and fast to build. If I ever re-do mine, I'll add a vertical/horizontal tilt feature, and a log cradle. It's getting harder to lift the big cutoffs. It'll split 20" diameter oak without a strain, but lifting that big a piece up onto the rail is a strain.
I'll probably put a good Kawasaki or Honda on it, too, instead of that clanking old Briggs.
Lloyd
On 2014-06-06, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

Sounds great. We did make a hydraulic unit for our beavertail semi trailer, by repowering an electric hydraulic pump with a Honda GX160 gasoline motor. Works great now. Log splitter is something very similar.

Product liability insurance? Don't forget all the saftey warning stickers.
Best Regards Tom.
On 2014-06-06, Howard Beal <NSA> wrote:

I do not have to say that I made it

Yeah, if you ever do build and sell one of those, don't ever tell anyone you made it. "It came in an auction lot, your Honor."
--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.