What parts can I save from a scrap injection molder?

I am purchasing a 500-ton (clamping force) injection molder made in Japan, as scrap machinery. Weight appx. 50,000 lbs. I wonder, however, what parts from it can I save that can be actually resold.

For example:

- 50 HP hydraulic pumps

- Clamp cylinder (a huge hydraulic cylinder)

- Hydraulic valves

While they seem attractive, I doubt that I will ever find a buyer for those. Any other ideas?

Ignoramus30385

Ignoramus30385 fired this volley in news:HMKdnXsVjMVligzOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

What's the size, compression ratio, volume, and condition of the screw and housing (and heater and screw motor)?

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Ignoramus30385 fired this volley in news:HMKdnXsVjMVligzOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I should have added, that screws and housings in good condition are quite valuable, not only intrinsically, but because they are "refurbishable" less expensively than new, and end up in brand new condition afterwards.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Lloyd, I honestly do not know. I know that it is old.

Ignoramus30385

Ignoramus30385 fired this volley in news:I8adnao5BPXlgQzOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Offer the screw, housing, heater, and maybe the screw drive motor to an injection screw rebuilder. They'll pay more than scrap for it, even if it's not a lot.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

The straining rods are 4140. I've made many parts out of press straining rods. Not positive, but I bet the plattens are 4140 also.

Is it old enough to have timer relays? I guess not worth much, but they are built for 10,000,000s of cycles.

LOTS of hydraulic parts,

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

This is a great idea.

Ignoramus30385

If the heat exchanger is still good, you might be able to find an interested party.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

On 6/5/2014 8:23 PM, Ignoramus30385 wrote: ...

What does it hurt other than just a little time? I'd think the hydraulics wouldn't be very hard at all to get rid of. How big is "huge" on the cylinder? Altho the distance is an issue.

Reply to
dpb

I spent all day working on it to get it ready for moving, and parting out.

Here's what I have decided to take:

1) Two hydraulic pumps 30 an 37 kW 2) Hydraulic heat exchanger 3) Two hydraulic cylinders, one operating the clamp or die, another one operating the feed screw 4) Miscellaneous steel bars for making those infamous "welding tables". 5) (not decied yet) Maybe I will take the hydraulic motor that runs the feed screw. Any thoughts on this last one? i
Reply to
Ignoramus8186

140mm piston diameter, appx 3 feet stroke,
Reply to
Ignoramus8186

What kind of shaft does it have?

I bought a used involute-splined hydraulic pump cheap and then had to machine a matching broach to mount a pulley on it. Surplus Center didn't have anything that would fit.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

That'll split some big firewood!

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Ignoramus8186 fired this volley in news:3dydnXwVG6aAhg_OnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Ig, that's barely a healthy log splitter cylinder. That's not only NOT 'huge', it's not even a moderately-sized cylinder. A lot of DIY guys would find use for a cylinder that _small_.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That's too small a cylinder for 500 ton, unless its a toggle press.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl Townsend fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Most of the smaller ones were toggle types to speed closing, minimize closing pressure until the top half of the mold got close, and to maximize closing force with the smallest hydraulics possible.

I haven't been involved in any injection molding for over 15 years, so I don't know how the newer presses are built.

We had a line of four vertical presses, different brands, all toggle types. The one horizontal press we had was Japanese, and straight hydraulic ram closing. It was SLOWWWWW!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Karl Townsend"

36 tons @ 3000 lbs
Reply to
Phil Kangas

OK, I agree with you. I worked a lot today -- felt great all day like a 25 year old -- and one of the things that I did was I took of the end nut from that hydraulic cylinder.

Ignoramus8186

It has mechanical clamping.

Ignoramus8186

Maybe I should build a nice log splitter from all the crap I have laying around, and sell it. I have pretty much everything.

Ignoramus8186