What parts can I save from a scrap injection molder?

Ignoramus8186 fired this volley in news:yLCdnUOJ3NrI3A_OnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

They're simple and fast to build. If I ever re-do mine, I'll add a vertical/horizontal tilt feature, and a log cradle. It's getting harder to lift the big cutoffs. It'll split 20" diameter oak without a strain, but lifting that big a piece up onto the rail is a strain.

I'll probably put a good Kawasaki or Honda on it, too, instead of that clanking old Briggs.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Product liability insurance? Don't forget all the saftey warning stickers.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

Sounds great. We did make a hydraulic unit for our beavertail semi trailer, by repowering an electric hydraulic pump with a Honda GX160 gasoline motor. Works great now. Log splitter is something very similar.

Ignoramus8186

I do not have to say that I made it

Ignoramus8186

Yeah, if you ever do build and sell one of those, don't ever tell anyone you made it. "It came in an auction lot, your Honor."

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Huh? I see splitters on sale which are only 5T to 42T (

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Q: What parts can I save from a scrap injection molder? A: All of them.

Now, the better question is "Which ones _should_ you save?" to which the answer is "the working or useful bits".

pyotr filipivich

I thought maybe Iggy quoted the cylinder size wrong. A 500 ton conventional press has a HUGE cylinder diameter with maybe a 7" push rod. Iggy said in anther part of this thread that its a toggle press. This style used a small cylinder (like 7") pushing on a "knee" to provide a huge mechainical leverage and get the 500 ton force. Iggy's press is not real old, toggles showed up in the 1980s.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Log splitters use a special 'detent' valve that will stay latched in the retract position until oil pressure rises when the piston bottoms, but requires a hand on the lever to advance. Usually they have a two-stage pump that shifts to lower flow at higher pressure when the resistance rises.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins