Modifying a Kity Bestcombi 2000 spindle molder to a router

Just wondering what the panel think to an idea before I start cutting metal or spending money. I'm very pleased with my Bestcombi 2000 (saw, planer/thicknesser, spindle molder, etc.) but I hardly ever use the spindle molder so I'm wondering about modifying it to be a router, but with the option of reverting back. The current speed is 6500 RPM so needs increasing. The spindle shaft is too high to mount a collet chuck so needs reducing in height.

The plan:

  1. Remove the top 50mm (the part that the molder block fits on) from the spindle. Make/buy a collet chuck and attach it to the reduced spindle.
  2. Replace the 1400 RPM 1ph motor with a 2800 RPM 3ph motor and inverter. Increase the diameter of the pulley by about 30%.
  3. Modify the piece removed from the spindle so it can be reattached if I need to use the molding block.

Any comments?

Reply to
no_spam

Have you considered the need for balancing the parts at that sort of speed?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Not too happy with the thought of re-attaching the section of shaft to take a moulding block again. - seems to be a weak point to my mind. Obscene amount of stored energy in a cutter block!!

I think I might investigate making a replacement spindle to take the collet chuck and swap the whole thing over.

Certainly motor/inverter combination works well in my kity router - an earlier model taken from a scrapped CK26 combi machine. Allows speed to be changed from a block speed to French cutters OK to use on a hobby machine still if you understand the issues.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks. I hadn't considered balance but assume that there wouldn't be a huge problem if all parts were turned concentrically. Checking and adjusting the static balance should be OK but I can't see how to do the same for dynamic balance, if needed. However, I'm now wondering whether it would be better to pick-up a 1/2" router and adapt it to fit on the spindle molder rise/fall mechanism.

Reply to
no_spam

Yes, that's been bothering me too. Having failed to come-up with a solution that I was happy with I thought about making a new spindle but, realistically, that involves new bearings and a new bearing housing - yet again a simple idea has evolved into a major task. I'm going to explore whether I could adapt things so that an off-the-peg router mounts on the rise/fall system and takes the place of the original spindle. Thanks for the comments.

What are "French cutters"?

Reply to
no_spam

Having spent a bit longer staring at the innards of the Bestcombi I think fitting an adapted router to the rise/fall mechanism is going to be too much work as well. I'm now thinking of removing all the spindle molder assembly, making an adapter to attach the router to the table (to the existing molder attachment points at the bottom of the block recess), using a collet extension to regain the height and something like Woodrat plunge bars for the rise/fall. Much simpler and requires no mods to the spindle molder - other than removing it!

Reply to
no_spam

Sorry I've not been in for a while. French cutters are strip of high carbon steel with the profile cut on each end. They fit in a vertical slot in the spindle and locked down by a bolt in the end of the spindle. No block is used. They are frowned upon by the H&S police as they don't have any way of limiting the cut. But used sensibly they are fine. A spindle is a bloody dangerous machine anyway so you need your wits about you whatever cutting scheme used.

The cutters are simply sharpened by creating burr on the profiled end in the same way as you would sharpen a cabinet scraper. It is the burr itself that shaves the wood to shape the profile.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Just to throw in another distraction.... Have you seen the CNC spindles sold on ebay. Basically a cylindrical motor between 1 and 4hp typically 100 ish mm diameter complete with a 3 phase inverter up to 400hz giving 24000rpm. ER collet on the shaft, sometimes air cooled, others are water cooled. Possibly a darn sight easier to mount in place of your spindle shaft.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Oooh! Those are very tempting and would be an ideal solution if I didn't already have a 1/2" router. I think I'll stick with the router for now, but if mounting it turns into a problem I'll revisit those spindles. Thanks!

Reply to
no_spam

It's easy enough to remove bits of fingers with safety molder blocks and router bits so I don't think I'll tempt fate further with those - the French are welcome to them.

Reply to
no_spam