GWR 0-4-2-T to 2-4-0T

how mind bogglingly difficult would it be to rework a commercial model

1400 class to be a decent representation of an Armstrong 2-4-0T.... curious after a previous thread sparked a memory. It would be nice to model pre 1900 as an antidote to the 1930-s

David

Reply to
chorleydnc

wrote

I think you'd have great difficulty turning the chassis round as the motor in the existing 0-4-2T protrudes into the cab area and there just would not be the space in the boiler/smokebox area to accomodate it if reversed.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I am not sure about converting it to an Armstrong, but I am sure I have seen an article about converting one to the earlier Metro 517 0-4-2 tank which preceeded it.

Reply to
John Ruddy

One of the kit makers does do the 'Metro' type of Armstrong (Swindon)

2-4-0T, so there's an option there. Beyond that I can't think of much,] and unfortunately no manufacturer in 4mm/' does the rather pretty Armstrong 517 0-4-2T instead of the (by comparison) pig-ugly Collett imitations :(
Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Alan Gibson has a 517 listed in 4mm scale. Many years ago I built the Mallard 517, I'm pretty sure that Blacksmith models continue to produce essentially the same kit, Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

Even better still is the Malcolm Mitchell (etched ) kit of the 517 - available in 4mm scale from David Geen

Regards,

Craig

Reply to
Craig Warton