jeweler's loupe - where to buy?

May be a silly question, but my ageing eyes are telling me that if I'm going to work on models with teeny-tiny parts, I need assistance. So ... where would one buy a handy visual aide like a jeweler's loupe?

In addition (or instead of?), what about a free-standing magnifying lens? Is there such a thing as an illuminated free-standing magnifying lens (i.e., one with a little lamp built in)?

I'm in Australia, if that helps (or hurts).

Bruce Melbourne, Australia

Reply to
Bruce Probst

coin and stamp shopes should be your first and only needed stop. i've had a loupe since i was 8.

Reply to
someone

Bruce from Australia, eh? Remonde me of a Monty Python skit. But I digress...

Get yourself one of these:

can't model without it. Best magnifier purchase I've ever made (about 20 years ago). And don't be tempted by any cheaper imitation. This one is worth every penny! IMO, it is not all that expensive.

If you want to spend some serious cash, you could buy some of the maginfiers dentists use. Those are very expensive but I'm sure they also work well.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

I use one of these (with my regular eyeglasses on)

I have nothing to do with this item, its sale, or the seller. I bought it from someone else on eBay. It's just the picture I was after.

Reply to
willshak

This one is real close to the one I use:

've had it for probably 15 years & can recommend the brand. It is very sturdy.

Here is a large variety to show what you can find, but their prices seem to be sky high:

the Legend of LAX

Reply to
Bluepen

Exactly! That is why Optivisor (or another wearable) stereoscopic maginfier is such a good alternative.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Reply to
Bruce Apple

Reply to
John DeBoo

rule number 6 there is no rule number 6 rule number 7 no POOFTERS!

Reply to
someone

WFT is a peefter?

Reply to
John DeBoo

wtf is wft? on woofters?

Reply to
someone

...and now another option, I have tried an optivisor at a show, found it didnt give me the working distance and magnification I hoped for. Short sighted people will get greater mag but shallow depth of field whilst long sighted types get lesser mag and much greater depth of field (dof is distance from eye in which item is in focus) Then I discovered, at a UK model show, on a stand selling wood bases (dave Armstrong Bases) for £2.99 a set of glasses in an aluminium case with pocket clip. Fantastic. Optically top notch quality, like glasses from an optician. Build quality excellent. Magnification four strengths available 2x 2.5x

3x and 3.5x and choice of colours. Recommend different colour for each mag. Also now available in UK libraries as reading glasses ...about £7.99. They give a decent working distance for me (short sight) and for someone long sight, so should work for you. Enables the use of tools between glasses and object !

There were 4x, but withdrawn as EEC banned sale of pre-made glasses, you must get an optician to make such at that strength for reading with they say. £100 I am quoted. Now look here EEC, I dont read with the things, I model, I now have got a pair, dont ask me how, but I did, and they are fine for modelling, no eye strain, darn site cheaper than £100. EEC please dont apply blanket rules, modelling optics should be exempt.

No plastic clutter around the head, simple specs you can peer over the top of when doing something else.

Steve

Reply to
Steve