Where to buy metal?

I want to build a stand for my computer monitor (21", doesn't fit on my desk..) I just got a welder but where can I buy metal? I think I saw some at Sears but I'm not positive.

Thanks

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

I usually buy angle iron for about five cents per foot on Saturdays (bed frames at a buck each) Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

It would help if you said where you live. That way people in the area could tell you.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

Home Depot, Lowes and some hardware stores have racks of rod, angle, and strip steel that might meet your needs. Plus there is pipe, bed frames, and the nearest metal scrap yard. If you get desperate, you can buy damn near anything online.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

[ ... ]

In that case, try Potomac Steel, off Loisdale road just a bit south of where I-95 hits the Washington Beltway (I-495).

Either be prepared to pay for cuts (if you want shorter pieces), or to buy full-length pieces and cut them once you get them home.

The times when I have been there, they have been reasonable people.

You'll get better steel than you could get from Sears, or from Home Depot -- but you may have to make choices. Since I don't weld, I'll leave it to others to suggest reasonable grades of steel to buy for the purpose. I like 12L14 for machining, but it is supposed to be very bad for welding, and I'm not even sure that they stock that. I've been lucky enough to get in on some group purchases as part of CAMS (Chesapeake Area Metalworking Society).

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols