Where to find springy metal strips?

I have a project that requires a few strips of springy metal about half inch wide by 12 inch long.

The same black metal used to make metal binder clips would be perfect:

formatting link
Any idea where to buy such material?

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

-- Winston

Reply to

Pallet strapping. Gotta be in a hundred dumpsters in your area, or uline.com if you must buy it.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch


formatting link

Hacksaw blades???

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I'll second that -- that's exactly what I used when faced with a similar need recently.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Feeler gauge stock is .001 thru .125 thick, 1/2" wide, and comes in

12" lengths and long rolls. See McMaster p.2273
Reply to
Ned Simmons

There's meters of such metal inside every brokedown tape measure (of the spring-rewind type).

Reply to

a.k.a. "negator spring"

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Dull band saw blades. Takes very little time to grind the teeth off. Many of the guys here have the 4 X 6 bandsaws that take a 1/2" wide, .025" thick blade that is 64 1/2" long. The banding material discussed by others will stay bent if stressed very far. These band saw blades are a lot closer to to a "spring", I'd say.

You could probably go to any fab shop and ask politely for a used, dull band saw blade. The commercial ones are wider and thicker, but there is often a small band saw someplace around.

Pete Stanaitis


james wrote:

Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.