Yesterday was good. Worked on a nose protector for my lathe.
Part of this as a general idea.
Indicated the spindle nose to set the compound (L-00 16d 35' 40" included).Installed boring bar upside down facing away to cut the mirror of the taper. I've moved the cross away to measure.
I think I need to do some housecleaning. Should have seen it with the balls of aluminum chips. That Pepsi bottle has way oil in it. Just in case you wondered what it is doing there.Threading was interesting. A 3 3/4-6 thread is wide enough I couldn't pick up my thread wires with my micrometer. Finally I used a scale as a bridge and did a relative measurement over wires with the driving plate shown in the chip pan. I got it right. :)
The L00 has a drive key but you can take it out. I installed my nose protector and the threads worked but it wasn't seating on the taper. I faced off .050 and tried again.
Now if fits okay, decided to part it but my AXA parting tool is only a 3/32 x1/2. I got greedy, it broke. I have a 1/8x1/2 parting tool on order but I may just take it over to uncles and band saw it off. I'd probably have done that today but my throat feels like someone poured the contents of a lead casting pot down it.
I'm going to mill down some round stock to 3/8" sq at the end to stick in my tool holder and use the carriage as a slotter to cut the drive key slot really soon now.
After I hit an impasse, I decided to replace the cross feed screw in my bridgeport. It didn't have good oiling when I got it and the middle of the screw was knife edged. Took a couple tries to get the split half nuts oriented and spaced so that I had travel in the adjustment screw and lock screw. Tip, a bit of hot melt to secure your screw to screw driver is priceless. Dropping your screws in your knee sucks. I'm just guessing, didn't do it :)