Made a Turner's cube

It is 2" in size.

Ignoramus4120

That is really, really cool. I also like the 'demo samples' the rapid prototyping guys have on their stands at exhibitions. Spheres within cubes within ellipsoids etc....

JB

Reply to
JB

That's cute. Surely you can get out your tiny end mills and work it down a few more levels...

Reply to
Pete C.

I saw some cool examples too.

The code to do it, is actually a recursive G code function (which is understandable, since the shapes are recursively nested).

(Makes a turner's cube. See projects.txt for formulas).

O sub # = #1 (X Center) # = #2 (Y Center) # = #3 (Current Z) # = #4 (Side) # = #5 (Mill Diameter) # = #6 # = #7

# = [# * #/2]

O if [ # gt #] G0 X# Y# O call [# + 0.01] # = [ [#/2 - #] + #*#*[1 - 1/sqrt[ 2 ]]]

O call [#] [#] [# + 0.01] [# - #] [#] [#]

# = [# - 2*#]

O call [#] [#] [# - #] [#] [#] [#] [#] O endif

G0 X# Y# O call [# + 0.01] O endsub

M2

Reply to
Ignoramus4120

That's possible, but would add to the time expense. I was thinking, to try selling this stuff on ebay.

My work involved here, is to open the vise six times and flip the cubes in the vise.

Ignoramus4120

Dude, you have a 4th axis, only two vise changes required. Load part and machine sides 1-4, stop, flip part and machine sides 5 and 6.

Reply to
Pete C.

It would also greatly add to the fixturing precision that is required.

Ignoramus4120

Add to that, probably use custom soft jaws in the small vice on the 4th axis in order to properly locate the part. Also probably machine in AL, polish in a tumbler and anodize for sale.

Reply to
Pete C.

Karl Townsend

I think that clamping this is to rotary table do difficult, that flipping the part over 6 times is easier.

If I wanted to make quantities, I would machine three cubes at a time, setting three in a row in a vise.

Ignoramus4120

Oh, yes, I realize that I have a question. How can I make this cube beautiful, as in, remove manufacturers marks on the aluminum,. etc?

Tumbling? In what?

Ignoramus4120

FWIW, three is a vice is asking for trouble. One will be loose. Four in a vice - OK. multiple vices - OK.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I'm going to guess w/o reading the rest of the thread first, you did it on your mill?

You are having way too much fun :)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I'd look at the large vibratory polisher / tumbler that HF sells (on sale now). It looks like it should be large enough to handle 2" cubes.

I have the smaller version that I picked up for cleaning / polishing brass for reloading, but I haven't got around to using it yet. It looks decent enough at any rate.

They also carry some assorted media for the tumblers, and of course you can get media from a lot of other places as well.

Polishing is the first step of course, after that you need some sort of finish to protect from rust or oxidation. There are a lot of options depending on what material you are making the parts from, look at the Caswell site for various ideas.

Reply to
Pete C.

Clamping on the RT shouldn't be that difficult really.

If you want production, clearly you'll need to make a custom fixture to hold six or eight cubes, with air over hydraulic clamping, and a parts handling robot to flip the cubes around for you while you watch on the webcam from your office :)

Reply to
Pete C.

Ignoramus4120 fired this volley in news:goqdnZfk9pS3exnQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Ig, it's pretty, as far as you went. But why didn't you complete it?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Bead blasting will give it a matte finish.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Did I say beadblast?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yes, on the mill. I have a bunch of relatives visiting right now, they all decided that they want a cube like this. :)

Reply to
Ignoramus28184

That doesn't look anything like Huxley's brave new drug, Soma.

-- "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey

Reply to
Larry Jaques