How much is this trailer worth if priced for quick sale

Cronkhite, 15k trailer, three axles, drive on ramps, plenty of rust, wood is 6 out of 10. Trailer is structurally solid and brakes, lights etc all work.

How much should I ask to sell it in a month or two?

Ignoramus19608

The price will be very subject to the area. Here I would expect it to be 2-3,000 if the lights work, hitch in good shape, useable tires, and the deck does not need instant replacement.

Deduct accordingly for any thing less.

Reply to
DanG

Thanks... What wood is normally used for decking?

Ignoramus19608

White Oak, Treated SYP or well sealed Hemlock. If it was an enclosed unit then I would use Apitong.

Reply to
Steve W.

Purpleheart, white oak, or doug fir (priced high to low) are the most common. 16' doug fir 2x8s are about ten bucks here.

Pressure treated SPF and composite decking are too soft, so I'd avoid them.

Price it out and tell the prospective buyer. I don't think it's a job you could do and make money on it, but one never knows.

-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I will indeed let the buyer do it. I think that I will ask for 2000 and get 1600. I am absolutely swamped with stuff to do, things to prep for sale, selling, answering endless phone calls etc.

Ignoramus19608

Not bad, I got this trailer andf four trailerloads of Stuff all for $1,000. And it is good Stuff.

Ignoramus9985

By that, I assume you got a clear title and the thing is licensed?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Paul Drahn fired this volley in news:jg12ob$ei8$1 @dont-email.me:

Not all states title trailers.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

There was no hanky panky.

I got a clear title. In fact, I registered it at my DMV today and I will get a title in my own name in 10 days.

The last safety inspection on it was in 2010, so I would need to reinspect it and then I can sell it.

Ignoramus9985

In my state, trailers are all titled, except equipment trailers with equipment permanently fixed to them (like welder trailers).

Ignoramus9985

Ignoramus9985 fired this volley in news:IYydnbzp7o9eqbnSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

In Florida, they don't get titled until they exceed a certain gross weight, which, IIRC, is 12,000 lbs. That trailer would sort of come close to the margin of titleable, or not.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That's many states but certainly there's a wide disparity in rules...

I'd bet even the "equipment trailers" in IL would have to be after some size limit is reached...

--

Reply to
dpb

And I personally disagree with this policy. A trailer with, say, a welder on it is more valuable than just a trailer. Why open a door and let thieves steal it without having to worry about a title?

Ignoramus9985

"Doesn't Have To be titled" doesn't mean it can't be.

California lowered the registration fees on utility trailers a LOT, somewhere under $5 a year due every 5 years, to the point where it isn't an onerous duty to pay them - especially on Special Equipment trailers that never had to be titled and registered unless you wanted to do it.

And Tow Dollies were made totally exempt, since they don't carry any cargo at all - the tow vehicle is registered, the car under tow is registered, Done. My problem is, I have an old DEMCO Kar Kaddy 280 Tow Dolly that was never titled, and I have to decide whether it's worth the trouble to get it done.

Mainly because the VIN was typed on a sticker and covered with clear vinyl ~25 years ago and is totally unreadable today, and when I called DEMCO they said "No, we never stamped any portion of the VIN on the rails, it's only on the sticker..." Isn't that a violation of FMVSS? Every other trailer I've ever seen has it stamped on the tongue, and/or a stamped metal tag riveted to the chassis rails.

Now I have to get a State Assigned VIN before I can do anything with it.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human