My new engine hoist

This is a 6,000 lbs capacity OTC 1814 crane, with electric hydraulic pump.

Just in case if this is not apparent, this crane is HUGE and weighs about 1,300 lbs. I was photographing it from eye level. The little Harbor Freight crane is just a skinny boy in comparison to this crane. Its capacity is 4,000 to 6,000 lbs depending on the boom position.

Ignoramus3367

Now tellus you paid $40 for it and the guy tossed in a couple tons of misc. with the deal. Just to really piss us off.

Great buy. Wish I had one just like it. I've got a 4 ton lift A frame hoist on rollers but it can be unweildy to get in position.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Not really, but I am sure that I can sell it on ebay for many times what I paid. Say, this crane is almost the same, but lacks the prized electric hydraulic pump:

Yes, A frames are notorious for this, especially in crowded shops.

Thanks Karl

Ignoramus3367

Yeow! Now you need your CDL and a class 8 tractor with an engine big enough to need that hoist.

Reply to
Pete C.

Soon I will explain what my plans are...

Ignoramus3367

Do you have success selling heavy expensive to ship items on eBay? We don't, not at all.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Ignoramus3367 fired this volley in news:3KednSgvSvuO7_TTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Oh... I can guess! You're going to make your mill "portable" (or maybe your whole machine shop!).

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I've seen it done, if I recall it was a lo-boy type trailer with a large Multiquip Whisper-Watt generator on top of the gooseneck, and a 40' container on the flatbed with a full shop inside.

Reply to
Pete C.

Plenty of success, I usually do not ship such things at all, the customer comes with money and I load. I recently sold the huge 1 ton jib crane that I mentioned, I delivered it for free 18 miles from my home. Since I could not get the crane out of my trailer, anyway, "free delivery" was not such a big deal to me. I just kept the jib crane in my trailer until I sold it and "delivered".

Ignoramus3367

Even better!

Reply to
Ignoramus3367

With a slightly used Mercedes semi coupled to a fully-enclosed drop-bed trailer he found on eBay "For just $1,500, you drive it away!"

A nice start?

-- That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met, you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My "A" frame has two huge A shaped pillars with a ten foot I beam accross the top at a ten foot height. Stone bitch to move around, you have to move it with a fork lift or pull with a tractor. The wheels do swivel but not very well. its really too damn heavy for swivels.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl Townsend fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Y'know, it's funny how badly those casters work, and yet "good" ones work really well.

When I got my most recent lathe, I had a lot of fiddling around to do in order to get it into the shop and positioned properly. I had some spotty help, but was mostly working alone.

So I tracked down some really good quality 5" urethane-tired swivel casters, and built some 24" square "movers' dolleys" with them. That really turned the trick. One guy could easily move a full ton of iron without grunting.

I've got a Northern Tools engine hoist that only weighs about 200lb, and it's all I can do to move it around -- because of the Chinalloy casters!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yeah - you remember Ig's recent post about needing to re-roof a large flat roof? My bet is that he has a new place for his dealings; maybe move his shop there for more space.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Yes. I would suggest, to Karl, to get high quality 8 inch iron wheel casters. If they are mounted accurately, with the caster plates exactly horizontal, you will see a lot of difference.

I moved a 5,500 lbs Bridgeport Interact on 5 inch urethane casters. It was a pain, but it worked.

Ignoramus5263

It's getting that ton of arn up into the air almost a _foot_ which was the real task, eh? 'Cept for that, I love larger casters.

Grease dem puppies, boy!

-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you're not working on finished floors, the iron wheels are the way to go. Welded up an engine dolly and was looking for casters, found some USA-made ones at the local hardware store with full ball-bearing swivels, zerks and iron wheels. Have never regretted the choice.

Still remember the guy I worked with that had a big loaded Craftsman tool chest and he had to move it. The solid rubber wheels had gotten pressed flat from the weight. He ended unloading the thing, used a jack to get it lifted up and had to replace every one before he could move out.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

For me, Craigslist is better locally, and a local AM radio program every day except Sunday (It's Mormon country here) called Tradio. Call in and sell darn near anything. No businesses or commercial calls. Or ask to buy darn near anything. Was riding in the car with a visitor from southern Cal when the program came on. Said what a hoot it was. A guy comes on who wants apples, spoiled or not. He's fed all his apples to his pigs, and needs more. Will clean up fallen apples. Will pick trees clean. My friend was very amused. I have called things in, and had a return phone call within five seconds.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote

Ya got that right! Everything else can be right, but if the wheels aren't, it's a pure d bitch.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

The first thing that I did with my Harbor Freight crane, is to take off the crappy casters, and weld on USA made 5 inch casters. Works really great after about 5 years.

Ignoramus5263