My new engine hoist

This is a 6,000 lbs capacity OTC 1814 crane, with electric hydraulic pump.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/sNvah2OBbSIHr95sNWD_r9xO3bjAhN7B42H-ddOjxhE?feat=directlink
Just in case if this is not apparent, this crane is HUGE and weighs about 1,300 lbs. I was photographing it from eye level. The little Harbor Freight crane is just a skinny boy in comparison to this crane. Its capacity is 4,000 to 6,000 lbs depending on the boom position.
On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 17:02:51 -0500, Ignoramus3367

Now tellus you paid $40 for it and the guy tossed in a couple tons of misc. with the deal. Just to really piss us off.
Great buy. Wish I had one just like it. I've got a 4 ton lift A frame hoist on rollers but it can be unweildy to get in position.
Karl

Not really, but I am sure that I can sell it on ebay for many times what I paid. Say, this crane is almost the same, but lacks the prized electric hydraulic pump:
http://goo.gl/zjZ6P

Yes, A frames are notorious for this, especially in crowded shops.
Thanks Karl
On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 17:52:54 -0500, Ignoramus3367

Do you have success selling heavy expensive to ship items on eBay? We don't, not at all.
Karl

Plenty of success, I usually do not ship such things at all, the customer comes with money and I load. I recently sold the huge 1 ton jib crane that I mentioned, I delivered it for free 18 miles from my home. Since I could not get the crane out of my trailer, anyway, "free delivery" was not such a big deal to me. I just kept the jib crane in my trailer until I sold it and "delivered".

For me, Craigslist is better locally, and a local AM radio program every day except Sunday (It's Mormon country here) called Tradio. Call in and sell darn near anything. No businesses or commercial calls. Or ask to buy darn near anything. Was riding in the car with a visitor from southern Cal when the program came on. Said what a hoot it was. A guy comes on who wants apples, spoiled or not. He's fed all his apples to his pigs, and needs more. Will clean up fallen apples. Will pick trees clean. My friend was very amused. I have called things in, and had a return phone call within five seconds.
Steve

My "A" frame has two huge A shaped pillars with a ten foot I beam accross the top at a ten foot height. Stone bitch to move around, you have to move it with a fork lift or pull with a tractor. The wheels do swivel but not very well. its really too damn heavy for swivels.
Karl

Y'know, it's funny how badly those casters work, and yet "good" ones work really well.
When I got my most recent lathe, I had a lot of fiddling around to do in order to get it into the shop and positioned properly. I had some spotty help, but was mostly working alone.
So I tracked down some really good quality 5" urethane-tired swivel casters, and built some 24" square "movers' dolleys" with them. That really turned the trick. One guy could easily move a full ton of iron without grunting.
I've got a Northern Tools engine hoist that only weighs about 200lb, and it's all I can do to move it around -- because of the Chinalloy casters!
LLoyd
On 2011-09-09, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

Yes. I would suggest, to Karl, to get high quality 8 inch iron wheel casters. If they are mounted accurately, with the caster plates exactly horizontal, you will see a lot of difference.
I moved a 5,500 lbs Bridgeport Interact on 5 inch urethane casters. It was a pain, but it worked.

If you're not working on finished floors, the iron wheels are the way to go. Welded up an engine dolly and was looking for casters, found some USA-made ones at the local hardware store with full ball-bearing swivels, zerks and iron wheels. Have never regretted the choice.
Still remember the guy I worked with that had a big loaded Craftsman tool chest and he had to move it. The solid rubber wheels had gotten pressed flat from the weight. He ended unloading the thing, used a jack to get it lifted up and had to replace every one before he could move out.
Stan
On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 07:43:56 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

It's getting that ton of arn up into the air almost a _foot_ which was the real task, eh? 'Cept for that, I love larger casters.

Grease dem puppies, boy!
-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote

Ya got that right! Everything else can be right, but if the wheels aren't, it's a pure d bitch.
Steve

The first thing that I did with my Harbor Freight crane, is to take off the crappy casters, and weld on USA made 5 inch casters. Works really great after about 5 years.
On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 21:46:33 -0500, Ignoramus5263

It takes that long to work great? :^)
I'd always taken advantage of the fact that Chinalloy wheels slid and skidded so easily on concrete that they didn't really need to roll.
-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama

They do not slide so easily, when there is a 500 lbs load on the crane.
On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 07:53:22 -0500, Ignoramus13208

Aw, that's what the 3' crowbar is for, Ig. Piece o' cake.
-- Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power. -- Seneca

Try better casters for a change.
On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 17:04:58 -0500, Ignoramus13208

As often as I have used it, the crowbar works fine. I seldom use it for my wallet. (It requires TWO to open it!)
Ignoramus3367 wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/sNvah2OBbSIHr95sNWD_r9xO3bjAhN7B42H-ddOjxhE?feat=directlink
Yeow! Now you need your CDL and a class 8 tractor with an engine big enough to need that hoist.

Soon I will explain what my plans are...