Can this welding gun be fixed?

This is an original Lincoln gun, but it is seriously busted.

I wonder if it is fixable or not or I should just get a replacement.

Ignoramus9930

Get a new one. And the new Lincoln's aren't so good with all the plastic. I like Tweco, but it has been a looooooooong time since I've bought one.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Heart Surgery Survival Guide ISBN: 978-1-935018-41-4

Reply to
Steve B

Thanks

Steve, do you know if I can use fluxcore wire in a MIG gun that was designed for welding with inert gun?

Or do I need two guns, one for welding with inert gas, and another gun for fluxcore?

Ignoramus9930

I don't see why you would need two guns. My little chinese welder does flux core just fine, but it also has a hose out the back to hook up a flow regulator for inert gas. I don't use flux core in my Miller and the gun is very similar. Ask Ernie over in the welding group to be sure, but I don't know of any problem. Just might want to have some spare hoods as they get all crudded up. Spare tips too. I would not use a regular gun for aluminum though. Hacks like me use a spool gun, and serious outfits will use a push pull gun. Of course they will also have a fancy pulser and other cool things I can't afford.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I second the Tweco. They are very nicely designed (read: easy to maintain....the consumables [tips, wire feed liners, gas diffusers, and nozzles, etc.] fit together in a well designed fashion) and are comfortable (they don't weigh as much as a boat anchor like some other guns) to weld with for long periods of time. They're widely available at any welding supply store.

You can blow the liners out with an air hose when they eventually collect some metal dust in them. DONOT screw the retention hex head screw on the wire feed liner down too tightly. This will crush your liner and result in feed problems. But, it also must be tight enough to keep the liner in place.

I usually take a hack saw and cut the gas nozzle into quarters at its base where it fits on the grommet? that holds the gas nozzle on the gun and then put a screw type hose clamp around the base where it is sawn to hold the nozzle on the grommet. You then unscrew this two piece assembly to wire brush the spatter off of the gas diffuser and tip and to use a spay anti-splatter on the diffuser/tip assembly to prevent spatter sticking to these parts. This also keeps the nozzle from slipping due to normal banging around while working and changing the distance between the tip, wire stick out, and the work piece.....which changes the arc length and, consequently, the welding heat.

Another tip: I am sort of fanatical about clipping the welding wire off at the tip between each weld. This promotes smooth arc starts and mostly prevents "backfires" which sometimes can weld the wire into the tip......necessitating a whole series of actions to reset the gun back to a normal state.

The Tweco's are very nice welding guns which, when properly used with a few tricks acquired through use, work better then most of the other guns out there. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

Admittedly, my experience is a little sparse, but the first time I welded it was with a thing called a "cricket," with fluxcore (little tiny box about 12" W x 18" H x 20" D that plugged into 115V). Where I sit now they use MIG, and I can't see any difference in the gun from the one I used lo those many years ago with fluxcore.

I guess I'd say go for it. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I use the same gun for both with my little Lincoln . Just change tips if the wire size is different , and there's a slimmer hood for use with the fluxcore wire . Don't forget to change the polarity too .

Reply to
Snag

Ig: you can use the same gun for both flux cored and solid wire welding. If you then switch to aluminum, keep and install a separate gun liner for that. The steel wires will leave oils and dust inside the liner that the aluminum wire will pick up. This will make a total mess when welding aluminum. The key to MIG welding aluminum is CLEAN. Any source of dirt will lead to problems. It is best to wash the aluminum base metal in solvent before welding it. Usually trichloroethane, which is pretty nasty stuff. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

OK, thanks. I bought a tweco compatible import gun for $145. They say it uses all Tweco compatible parts and consumables.

Ignoramus30916

You know, my little China Store welder has a switch on the front panel for polarity. I always use it with flux wire anymore. Usually in the field where I need to do something like weld a handle on a steel gate.

My big fancy Miller I have to open up and swap the cables. (Since I always use inert gas with it I don't but...)

Reply to
Bob La Londe

"Ignoramus9930" wrote in message news:evednfwOT75UAj7QnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

The gun in the photo is strictly for self shielded innershield wire, nothing whatsever to do with shielding gas. The nozzle has been rotated for convenience. New liners are available. phil k.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Dave, I had nothing but headaches from welding aluminum, and am not even considering using this LN-25 for that purpose. I want steel only. I bought a tweco compatible import gun this morning.

My plan was to fix up this LN-25. It seems to work fine, as far as contactor, feed mechanism, etc are concerned, and just needs a gun.

Then, with a new gun and in a working conition, I may try to sell it together with the SA-200 that I am fixing.

Ignoramus30916

One gun. Just turn off the gas, or if you can figure out the circuitry, turn off the solenoid switch for FCAW. Inert gas can be used for FCAW, also, depending on the metal to be welded.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Do not expect the 110 on the SA200 to drive much more than a grinder.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

That ain't bad. In the 80's, they were $120. I hope they don't find out about it, and raise the price.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Heart Surgery Survival Guide ISBN: 978-1-935018-41-4

Reply to
Steve B

BUY THE .045" LINER. THEY DO NOT CRUD UP AS FAST.

Caps intentional, because this is a real money saver. They will run any wire that's smaller, just use a different tip.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Heart Surgery Survival Guide ISBN: 978-1-935018-41-4

Reply to
Steve B

I agree with that. This LN-25 wirefeed is across-the-arc powered, and runs from welding DC.

Ignoramus30916

Actually, the gun arrived today and it is MADE IN USA

Ignoramus1116