Special nut answer

It's a standard/coarse thread 9/16" hole, 15/16" total outside nut. The damn nut is bigger than a walnut, so there's going to be a little work welding a cap in there, then trimming it all down to a workable size. I'll go to Ace and see if they have a thinner one that requires less machining.

For what I charge, I could just go buy a new opener. Good thing this isn't for a real customer.

Why do we do that?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Heart Surgery Survival Guide ISBN: 978-1-935018-41-4

Reply to
Steve B

You won't buy a lathe to make this part?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Jim Wilkins" wrote

You won't buy a lathe to make this part?

jsw

If I was to part with any cash right now, it would be for a plasma cutter. I'm a welder, not a machinist, and have a lot more use for a cutter. I would find it interesting, though, to find a machinist who had a lathe, and learn some stuff. My dad was a machinist all his life, a flight engineer in the US Army Air Corps. 13th Army, 307th Bomb Group. The "Long Rangers." South Pacific ribbon with four bronze stars. Wish I could have learned from him, but he never did it at home.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Heart Surgery Survival Guide ISBN: 978-1-935018-41-4

Reply to
Steve B

i have this same opener. it looks like it should be a standard nut. did you try all those little boxes at an ace hardware?

seems i see these in yard sales a lot. buy another broken one for another $2 just for the nut.

Reply to
chaniarts

It's fun and challenging and most of all *Because we can*. Art

Reply to
Artemus

It's fun and challenging and most of all *Because we can*. Art

Reply to
Artemus

"Artemus" wrote

I have been thought of highly many times after I repaired something, and pulled someone's ass out of the fire. It sure is nice to repair something, and keep on mowing (whatever), and not have to stop and go get it fixed or buy another widget for $$$$. And it's fun to create tools and toys. And fun just to create.

I was going to build a tippy squirrel trap, based on a tube, gravity, and a tipping point of no return. Now, I think I'll do like they do in Britain. I'll build a maze, making them learn a section at a time, adding a section a week. Then, when they figure it out, I'll pull that little cotter pin on the final platform.

Yes, I know.

I'm sick.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Heart Surgery Survival Guide ISBN: 978-1-935018-41-4

Reply to
Steve B

We need proof of that, so please YouTube it. ;)

-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand

Reply to
Larry Jaques