Are micrometer gages useful for anything?

Out of a cabinet on auction, I pulled these:

They are micrometer gages, basically rods of precise length.

My question is, are they useful for any real purpose in a HSM shop, or should I get rid of them. Thanks

Reply to
Ignoramus6708

I realized that what I said sounds kind of ambiguous. What I mean is that I bought a cabinet, and then found those gages. I did not mean that I pulled gauges out of a cabinet that did not belong to me.

Ignoramus6708

Den 18-06-2011 22:13, Ignoramus6708 skrev:

They are useful for checking/adjusting micrometers.

Reply to
Uffe Bærentse

If you have large outside micrometers that you want to calibrate, these are what you would need. In principle, you could use them to precisely measure large inside gaps if used along with a set of gage blocks or feeler gages. Personally, if I am measuring large things, I do it with a height gage on a granite table. I would sell these.

Reply to
anorton

Another thought: use them to calibrate or verify your linear encoders, and then sell them.

Reply to
anorton

They are of no use. What lengths have you got and how much do you want? email karltownsendembarqmail.com

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Uses that I see for them:

1) Calibration standards for zeroing larger micrometers. (I presume that these are integer number of inches long.)

2) Fit into a V groove to serve as an extension on measuring table motion. (This sort of thing was used in a precision version of a light duty mill called a "Jig Borer" to eliminate errors in leadscrews.) There would be a projection from the moving part of the table which would hit the spacers in the V-groove, and a precise dial gauge at the other end with a 1" travel. Build up a stack of these to handle the integer length, and a micrometer thimble which adjusts the remaining fractional inch part and you can position the table very precisely.

The spacer rods and the double-ended micrometer thimbles came in wood cased sets. I've got one of these sets for a Pratt & Whitney jig borer IIRC. They had larger diameter rings to support them at the proper center height. Yours look a little smaller in diameter -- and the black rings are likely hard rubber to insulate the rods from the heat of your hands, which can otherwise introduce error.

You could set up something like this for verifying the scales/encoders in your CNC mill.

It might be intersting to see what lengths you have there. The visible ones look like about 12-14" length at a guess. And what is (roughly) the diameter of the rods?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

If they're for setting micrometers, they're "standards". Would be integer inch(or cm.) lengths. If they're for setting snap gages, you'd have max and min pairs. Could be any length then. From the looks of them, you'd need to be overhauling locomotives to use micrometers that large.

If there are that many standards on the loose, what happened to the micrometers?

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Depending on what you mean by HSM shop, probably. I'm the local detail draftsman here, and I've had occasion to use the shop's gages, which we call "ID gages," to detail a sample part that the customer wanted duplicated.

If you ever need to measure the ID of anything to a thou or so, they're worth hanging on to, in my humble, probably not qualified, opinion. :-)

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Sell them to Karl ;)

Do you have big mic's missing their standards?

Wes

-- "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars" - Ambaltrip

Reply to
Wes

On my Kearney & Trecker Model D, they allow me to position the table within .0001....

Reply to
Gene

I do not have any big mics and do not feel that I need them for anything.

Ignoramus23093

Most of our work is large diameter parts, large meaning from 12 inches up to 84 inch diameter turning. I am missing a couple of setting standards on my larger mikes and would be very interested in them if they are the ones I am missing. My mikes measure up to 36 inch diameter and for biggier diameters I use Pi tapes or vernier calipers.

John

Ignoramus6708 wrote:

john

My mic's go up to 6", that is expensive enough material to turn. :)

Wes

Wes

The longest I have is only 10 inches.

Ignoramus31413

O.K. That is potentially useful for me. (I'll have to check what I am missing). Could you post a list of the lengths of the rods?

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I think i am missing a 17 inch in one of the mike sets and a 23 in one of the other. It's not a big problem since I have only one missing in each set and I can use the next up or down rod to set the mike.

John

Reply to
John