Are micrometer gages useful for anything?

Out of a cabinet on auction, I pulled these:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3SrVIG_eOdMSnqy_gLew8txO3bjAhN7B42H-ddOjxhE?feat=directlink
They are micrometer gages, basically rods of precise length.
My question is, are they useful for any real purpose in a HSM shop, or should I get rid of them. Thanks
Add pictures here
βœ–

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3SrVIG_eOdMSnqy_gLew8txO3bjAhN7B42H-ddOjxhE?feat=directlink
I realized that what I said sounds kind of ambiguous. What I mean is that I bought a cabinet, and then found those gages. I did not mean that I pulled gauges out of a cabinet that did not belong to me.

βœ–
Den 18-06-2011 22:13, Ignoramus6708 skrev:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3SrVIG_eOdMSnqy_gLew8txO3bjAhN7B42H-ddOjxhE?feat=directlink
They are useful for checking/adjusting micrometers.
--
Uffe Bζrentsen

Add pictures here
βœ–

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3SrVIG_eOdMSnqy_gLew8txO3bjAhN7B42H-ddOjxhE?feat=directlink
If you have large outside micrometers that you want to calibrate, these are what you would need. In principle, you could use them to precisely measure large inside gaps if used along with a set of gage blocks or feeler gages. Personally, if I am measuring large things, I do it with a height gage on a granite table. I would sell these.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Another thought: use them to calibrate or verify your linear encoders, and then sell them.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 15:13:35 -0500, Ignoramus6708

They are of no use. What lengths have you got and how much do you want? email karltownsend<AT>embarqmail.com
Karl
Add pictures here
βœ–

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3SrVIG_eOdMSnqy_gLew8txO3bjAhN7B42H-ddOjxhE?feat=directlink
    Uses that I see for them:
1)    Calibration standards for zeroing larger micrometers. (I     presume that these are integer number of inches long.)
2)    Fit into a V groove to serve as an extension on measuring     table motion. (This sort of thing was used in a precision     version of a light duty mill called a "Jig Borer" to eliminate     errors in leadscrews.) There would be a projection from the     moving part of the table which would hit the spacers in the     V-groove, and a precise dial gauge at the other end with a 1"     travel. Build up a stack of these to handle the integer length,     and a micrometer thimble which adjusts the remaining fractional     inch part and you can position the table very precisely.
    The spacer rods and the double-ended micrometer thimbles came in     wood cased sets. I've got one of these sets for a Pratt &     Whitney jig borer IIRC. They had larger diameter rings to     support them at the proper center height. Yours look a little     smaller in diameter -- and the black rings are likely hard     rubber to insulate the rods from the heat of your hands, which     can otherwise introduce error.
    You could set up something like this for verifying the     scales/encoders in your CNC mill.
    It might be intersting to see what lengths you have there. The visible ones look like about 12-14" length at a guess. And what is (roughly) the diameter of the rods?
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
βœ–

If they're for setting micrometers, they're "standards". Would be integer inch(or cm.) lengths. If they're for setting snap gages, you'd have max and min pairs. Could be any length then. From the looks of them, you'd need to be overhauling locomotives to use micrometers that large.
If there are that many standards on the loose, what happened to the micrometers?
Stan
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ignoramus6708 wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3SrVIG_eOdMSnqy_gLew8txO3bjAhN7B42H-ddOjxhE?feat=directlink
Depending on what you mean by HSM shop, probably. I'm the local detail draftsman here, and I've had occasion to use the shop's gages, which we call "ID gages," to detail a sample part that the customer wanted duplicated.
If you ever need to measure the ID of anything to a thou or so, they're worth hanging on to, in my humble, probably not qualified, opinion. :-)
Have Fun! Rich
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sell them to Karl ;)
Do you have big mic's missing their standards?
Wes -- "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars" - Ambaltrip
Add pictures here
βœ–

I do not have any big mics and do not feel that I need them for anything.
βœ–

My mic's go up to 6", that is expensive enough material to turn. :)
βœ–
On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 15:13:35 -0500, Ignoramus6708

On my Kearney & Trecker Model D, they allow me to position the table within .0001....
--

Fortι Agent 6.00 Build 1186

"When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and
βœ–
Most of our work is large diameter parts, large meaning from 12 inches up to 84 inch diameter turning. I am missing a couple of setting standards on my larger mikes and would be very interested in them if they are the ones I am missing. My mikes measure up to 36 inch diameter and for biggier diameters I use Pi tapes or vernier calipers.
John
Ignoramus6708 wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3SrVIG_eOdMSnqy_gLew8txO3bjAhN7B42H-ddOjxhE?feat=directlink
Add pictures here
βœ–

The longest I have is only 10 inches.
βœ–

    O.K. That is potentially useful for me. (I'll have to check what I am missing). Could you post a list of the lengths of the rods?
    Thanks,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
βœ–
Ignoramus31413 wrote:

I think i am missing a 17 inch in one of the mike sets and a 23 in one of the other. It's not a big problem since I have only one missing in each set and I can use the next up or down rod to set the mike.
John
Add pictures here
βœ–