Survey - Micrometer Ratchet

To All:
    Just curious, do you use the micrometer ratchet (or friction thimble) to measure your parts?
[ ] Always.
[ ] Often.
[ ] 50/50
[ ] Seldom.
[ ] Never.
Comments:
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Always. *Especially* on a depth mic.

Also if going for tolerances less than 1/2 thou or so then will qualify the mike by using a gage block or pin that's the same or near to the same size as the part to be inspected.
    I seem to have lost my original survey post, so I'll piggy back it here.

    I don't believe there is any "Right" or "Wrong" answer to this survey as long as the technique you use obtains the desired accuracy of measurement. I personally like to "feel" the contact directly rather than depend on a friction thimble or ratchet.     In fact I have a uni-mic/step mic that had a friction thimble. I put some superglue in it to make it rigid.     Some have suggested that jo-blocks be used. I believe that's an excellent idea for a measuring instrument that hasn't been used in a while.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

I though everyone kept the standard that comes with the mike , with the mike. Save the jo blocks for when you really need them. It drives me crazy to see someone use the set of class AA blocks to check a mike when they only are measuring to =/- .001
john wrote:

John:          As everyone knows, micrometer standards are usually set for the low end of the micrometer's measurement range. But most of the wear probably occurs around the middle of the range. So an occasional check in the middle of the range might be illuminating. The thing about miking jo-blocks is that you have to be very careful that the sharp edges of the carbide faces of the micrometer don't scratch the jo-block.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

never, 40 years micing. If you cant feel a mic on the thimble then there's a 5 bananas problem.

I prefer the friction thimble.

Is That what the ratchet is for??? Hmmm Never used it.

I'll second the 100% with depth mic. Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.

I use whatever is largest.
--

-JN-

ROFLMAOASTC. I owe you a beer.
ROFLMAOASTC. I owe you a beer.

I always use my friction thimble so the pressure applied is always the same. Gage blocks always seem to be the same size when I check them. Will the next survey ask how many people check their mikes to a stack of gage blocks before measuring parts?
Later,
Charlie
Charlie Gary wrote:

There in lies the answer to what Bottle will do in retirement.
:)
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

Are you talking about those little hi-tech adjustable C clamp thingies? Never seems to be enough when the glue is setting up.
Half-nutz wrote:

Reminds me of a prank we played on an old timer when I was a apprentice. One of the other apprentices had a totally beaten larger size mic. He walked up to the old timer who he was helping run a horizontal boring mill and used the mic as a "C" clamp to hold a plate to an angle plate. The old timer about shit and cursed a blue streak. Funny as Hell.
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

Another broken mike prank - Ask the new rookie if you can borrow his mike for a minute. Then later take the broken mike and from half way across the shop yell "dude, here's your mike" then toss it to him. Make the toss way short or long.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d

I use the ratchet because it fits in my cordless drill chuck.
Fred