Survey - Micrometer Ratchet

To All:

Just curious, do you use the micrometer ratchet (or friction thimble) to measure your parts?

[ ] Always. [ ] Often. [ ] 50/50 [ ] Seldom. [ ] Never.

Comments:

Reply to
BottleBob

Always. *Especially* on a depth mic.

Reply to
Joe788

Also if going for tolerances less than 1/2 thou or so then will qualify the mike by using a gage block or pin that's the same or near to the same size as the part to be inspected.

Reply to
Bipolar Bear

never, 40 years micing. If you cant feel a mic on the thimble then there's a

5 bananas problem.
Reply to
A New Day

I prefer the friction thimble.

Reply to
Why

Is That what the ratchet is for??? Hmmm Never used it.

Reply to
Captain Larry

I'll second the 100% with depth mic. Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

I use whatever is largest.

Reply to
J. Nielsen

ote:

ROFLMAOASTC. I owe you a beer.

Reply to
billynevada

ote:

ROFLMAOASTC. I owe you a beer.

Reply to
billynevada

I always use my friction thimble so the pressure applied is always the same. Gage blocks always seem to be the same size when I check them. Will the next survey ask how many people check their mikes to a stack of gage blocks before measuring parts?

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Are you talking about those little hi-tech adjustable C clamp thingies? Never seems to be enough when the glue is setting up.

Reply to
Half-nutz

There in lies the answer to what Bottle will do in retirement.

:)

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

Reminds me of a prank we played on an old timer when I was a apprentice. One of the other apprentices had a totally beaten larger size mic. He walked up to the old timer who he was helping run a horizontal boring mill and used the mic as a "C" clamp to hold a plate to an angle plate. The old timer about shit and cursed a blue streak. Funny as Hell.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

I use the ratchet because it fits in my cordless drill chuck.

Fred

Reply to
ff

Depends on weather or not the mic has such a device on it. I don't usually use the rachets -- they seem to get a little tight on the work. The friction thimble on the Uni-mike is indispenable.

My very first mic, a Starrett 1 inch 436 plain-Jane, is still my favorite mic after 46 years. And it passes inspection every year.

Reply to
Alphonso

You guys... everybody's trying out for Saturday Night Live!

Reply to
BottleBob

Just curious, do you use the micrometer ratchet (or friction thimble)

Friction thimble always, consistant, same as Charlie, always measures the same on gage blocks.

OT where the heck is the "master machinist / cad-cam guru" when these polls are taken, does he know what a mic looks like, (without a video or demo)?

"D"

Reply to
reidmachine

BottleBob wrote in news:NcWdnVdOBN2Dws3UnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

If it's a small or easily deformed part/material I'll either just measue by feel or use an indicating micrometer.

I wonder how many people use mike stands?

Reply to
D Murphy

Garlicdude wrote in news:1uCdnZcUK-z708zUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.southvalleyinternet:

Another broken mike prank - Ask the new rookie if you can borrow his mike for a minute. Then later take the broken mike and from half way across the shop yell "dude, here's your mike" then toss it to him. Make the toss way short or long.

Reply to
D Murphy