Cutting micrometer threads?

Occasionally I've come across a reference to a scientific instrument makers having a micrometer thread cutting machine. Is this any different from a precision screw cutting lathe?

Is the material from which the spindle of a micrometer soft enough to turn? I'd like to modify one to have truncated cone shaped tips (like a Starett 210) for measuring the distance between watch balance jewels.

Clearly I need to avoid the type with carbide anvil/spindle tips, which seem to be the ones most frequently found second hand, but I imagine older ones may have lacked this refinement.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain

Hi Alan

My understanding of such machines was that they were based on the concept of a thread-follower or chase screw cutting arrangement - see for example:

for some examples of this sort of thing on a lathe - in general they were designed to create very accurate, but limited length, threads.

Cheers,

Youra.

Reply to
Youra

I had never thought of such a system used for this purpose, but it certainly does make sense since the length of thread required is very limited. I have seen a lathe in action (I think it was from Cambridge Instrument company) which was equipped with the chase screwcutting system, which was being used to cut a very short thread on a photographic lens mount.

The Schaublin system looks very complex (and presumably expensive). The Karger

is more like the system which I have seen.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain