Buying Band saw- advice needed- mild steel cutting

Hi I am looking to buy a Band saw or scroll saw to use cutting aluminium and mild steel, sheet and tube.
Silverline do a 350 W band saw with a 14 tpi blade for £85 but I cant
find any information about cutting metal. I don’t want to spend money on something that will have blunt blades in 5 minute’s.
I want to replace hack sawing, drill and filling curves in steel sheet that is to thick to cut with tin snips.
Any advice welcome
Chris
Add pictures here
βœ–

A bandsaw meant for wood cutting can be used on aluminum, but it will be much too fast for steel and will destroy blades very quickly. Blade speeds of 100 to 160 feet per minute are suitable for sawing mild steel.
A 14 tpi blade is suitable for material at least 3/16" thick. You'll need a finer pitch blade for thinner material.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Chris wrote:

http://www.brandsplace.com/0246-wil-8201vs.html
.... Variable from 90 to 340 Surface Feet Per Minute. "These saws are specially designed to effectively cut a variety of materials including wood, plastic, bakelite, composites, ferrous and non-ferrous metals. Capable of contour and straight cutting and resawing. Can cut delicate curves in both thick and thin stock."
This is what you want. Beware that the market is full of "Wood and Metal Cutting" band saws that will instantly destroy the blade when confronted with steel because they run the blade MUCH too fast. They are inexpensive though.
If you are feeling handy, you could adapt a standard wood cutting bandsaw for metal use by putting a gearbox between the motor and drive wheels.
--Winston
Add pictures here
βœ–

Enco sells this Wilton saw with pulley-change rather than variable speed, for a lot less. They've been on sale for under $900.
It can still change speeds about instantly from wood to metal by engaging or disengaging the gearbox.

Caution! Some wood saws aren't rigid enough to handle metal cutting loads. I tried this with a Craftsman saw. It tossed blades with aggrivating frequency.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Don Foreman wrote:

(...)
I see the 8 speed pulley change unit for about U$1K: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKAP5-1372&PMPXNO•3995&PARTPG=INLMK32
That's a much better deal than the variable speed unit and would also fit in my garage just fine. :)
(...)

But Don, it's a Sears power tool. What could possibly go wrong?
--Winston
Add pictures here
βœ–
Winston wrote:

As much as I like my Craftsman hand tools , you couldn't run fast enough to give me another Sears power tool .
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"
Terry Coombs wrote:

That would depend on how much copper and alumininum I could salvage.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

βœ–
Terry Coombs wrote:

Ayup. The recent stuff is just nasty.
--Winston
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 23:32:12 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,

Crapsman: J U S T S A Y N O !
--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln

This one was made decades ago (40's, I think) when Sears sold only quality tools. My dad did a lot of woodworking with it. He made most of our furniture out of black walnut and cherry.
It was a good tool for woodworking but its frame just wasn't heavy enough for the blade tensions and loads associated with cutting metal.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Don Foreman wrote:

(...)
Ah. I understand. Ferrous metal is right out for that saw. I wonder if it would cut aluminum at woodworking speeds.
My '70's era Craftsman bandsaw works just fine for that.
--Winston
Add pictures here
βœ–

If it's the same Craftsman bandsaw I had at work, there was a speed reducer available for it and it would cut ferrous metals. My dad's Craftsman was a little 3-wheeler.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Don Foreman wrote:

Now *there's* another interesting bit of info.
Thanks!
--Winston
Add pictures here
βœ–

If you've got $500 - $1000 to spend you should be able to find a DoAll ML or Metalmaster. Mine was uglier than this one when I bought it. Weighs less than 1000# and doesn't require much more space than the cheapo 4x6 horizontals. http://cgi.ebay.com/DOALL-VERTICAL-BANDSAW-16_W0QQitemZ320278758098QQihZ011QQcategoryZ92081QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I woke up with "Coyote" in my head this morning.
--
Ned Simmons

Add pictures here
βœ–
Ned Simmons wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DOALL-VERTICAL-BANDSAW-16_W0QQitemZ320278758098QQihZ011QQcategoryZ92081QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
That's really cool!

Hey, better that than 'River'!
--Winston
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 18:32:43 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,

If you like 800 pound gorillas.

I'd always related to 'Twisted', but then I got her "Chalk Mark in a Rainstorm" album and fell for 'Cool Water', 'Lakota', and 'Snakes and Ladders'.
-- Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness. -- George Sand
Add pictures here
βœ–
Larry Jaques wrote:

Was talking to a bud of mine about that. Problem really isn't affording the tools. That saw is a prime example. The problem is *housing* all the tools you want.

I shall have to have a listen. I assume there are Joni Mitchell songs that are bright and optimistic?
Perhaps not.
--Winston
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 09:39:53 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed

Google the Wreck for the "resawed beans" thread. It'll gitcha gigglin'.

How lovely. <gag>

What, you don't like accidental thermite? Wuss!

I've used Marvel Mystery Oil which was in a handy oiler the last couple times. Works like a charm.

I've asked Lew to put me in his will for his old Craftsman drill press. It has a nice, long quill travel, maybe 6+ inches. I should probably press for the clause to read "with shipping", huh?
-- Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness. -- George Sand
Add pictures here
βœ–

greens. My wife won't eat them, so, when they're in season and cheap, I buy a big bunch and blanch them in our huge pot. Then I put them in a big sheet-cake pan and put another sheet-cake pan on top of it, squeezing out the water. Then I weight the upper pan and throw the whole mess into my stand-up freezer (between the blocks of fish).
When the sheet is frozen solid I run some water in the top pan and pull it off, then warm the bottom of the bottom pan and pop out the giant kale-sicle. Then I dice them into serving-size blocks with the bandsaw, wrap each in freezer wrap, and pop them back into the freezer. I can cut up a year's supply in a couple of steps.
<snip>

Don't be greedy. (That drill press may be a Walker-Turner, too.)
-- Ed Huntress
Add pictures here
βœ–
I got lucky and bought this at auction for $400. http://www.rollinsaw.com/band_saws/EF1459_vertical_band_saw.htm