Buying Band saw- advice needed- mild steel cutting

Is something like a hand bandsaw available in your area? Portaband?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

If you've got $500 - $1000 to spend you should be able to find a DoAll ML or Metalmaster. Mine was uglier than this one when I bought it. Weighs less than 1000# and doesn't require much more space than the cheapo 4x6 horizontals.

I woke up with "Coyote" in my head this morning.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 09:39:53 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

Google the Wreck for the "resawed beans" thread. It'll gitcha gigglin'.

How lovely.

What, you don't like accidental thermite? Wuss!

I've used Marvel Mystery Oil which was in a handy oiler the last couple times. Works like a charm.

I've asked Lew to put me in his will for his old Craftsman drill press. It has a nice, long quill travel, maybe 6+ inches. I should probably press for the clause to read "with shipping", huh?

-- Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness. -- George Sand

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's really cool!

Hey, better that than 'River'!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Funny. BTW, I also use it for resawing slabs of frozen kale and collard greens. My wife won't eat them, so, when they're in season and cheap, I buy a big bunch and blanch them in our huge pot. Then I put them in a big sheet-cake pan and put another sheet-cake pan on top of it, squeezing out the water. Then I weight the upper pan and throw the whole mess into my stand-up freezer (between the blocks of fish).

When the sheet is frozen solid I run some water in the top pan and pull it off, then warm the bottom of the bottom pan and pop out the giant kale-sicle. Then I dice them into serving-size blocks with the bandsaw, wrap each in freezer wrap, and pop them back into the freezer. I can cut up a year's supply in a couple of steps.

Don't be greedy. (That drill press may be a Walker-Turner, too.)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 18:32:43 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Winston quickly quoth:

If you like 800 pound gorillas.

I'd always related to 'Twisted', but then I got her "Chalk Mark in a Rainstorm" album and fell for 'Cool Water', 'Lakota', and 'Snakes and Ladders'.

-- Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness. -- George Sand

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Was talking to a bud of mine about that. Problem really isn't affording the tools. That saw is a prime example. The problem is *housing* all the tools you want.

I shall have to have a listen. I assume there are Joni Mitchell songs that are bright and optimistic?

Perhaps not.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston