Buying Band saw- advice needed- mild steel cutting

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:10:59 -0500, "Karl Townsend"

WOW!! Hell of a deal!!! New they start at about 3500 bucks!
Gotta argue about the Cadillac part though....the Marvels are a better machine.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario
Chris wrote:

http://www.brandsplace.com/0246-wil-8201vs.html
.... Variable from 90 to 340 Surface Feet Per Minute. "These saws are specially designed to effectively cut a variety of materials including wood, plastic, bakelite, composites, ferrous and non-ferrous metals. Capable of contour and straight cutting and resawing. Can cut delicate curves in both thick and thin stock."
This is what you want. Beware that the market is full of "Wood and Metal Cutting" band saws that will instantly destroy the blade when confronted with steel because they run the blade MUCH too fast. They are inexpensive though.
If you are feeling handy, you could adapt a standard wood cutting bandsaw for metal use by putting a gearbox between the motor and drive wheels.
--Winston

A variable speed saber (sabre) saw with the right blades will cut steel, just not fast. Yesterday I cut off a 10" piece of 5/16" hot rolled plate with one. Progress was imperceptible but it did eventually cut off the plate.

I started out hacksawing off a 2" x .25" piece of steel for a riser to get my AXA toolpost high enough to be able to keep tools on centerline.
Since the detail was clamped into my mill vise, I quickly decided that running a milling cutter to slice the stock to length would be much faster. I figured the end mill was cheaper than pulling out the sawsall. I can end sharpen my endmills. Someday I'll have a metal bandsaw.
Wes
Here is (what I believe) you are considering: Silverline bandsaw: http://www.twenga.co.uk/offer/26890/7157937077812595681.html Blade length = 1.425 m = 55, 350 W = 0.54 HP, 85 = $153
Most people recommend bimetal blades for cutting steel, but Im not sure how easily they will be found in the size fitting this machine. The costs might be nearly as expensive as the bandsaw itself. As others have mentioned you still need to slow down the blade speed for cutting steel (electrically or mechanically). This has also been previously discussed on RCM:
13 hits blade speed + cutting steel http://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.metalworking/search?group=rec.crafts.metalworking&q=%22blade+speed%22+%22cutting+steel%22
Also the blade width (depth) will limit the radius of your cuts. You may still need to resort to chain drilling holes for tight curves. Scroll saws have metal cutting blades, but they are usually the high carbon steel ones and better suited to nonferrous metals. Possibly you could adapt (grind, file) some bimetal hacksaw blades to fit a scroll saw. Additionally you may also still have to modify the machine to reduce blade speed to make the blade last. Most scroll saws are designed only for cutting wood.
Bimetal jig saw blades are commonly available, if you want to consider using a jig saw.
Horizontal/vertical bandsaws are designed primarily for cutting metal (i.e. have correct blade speed, etc.), but they dont normally come with good tables when used in the vertical mode. If you get one of those you might need to improvise a better table if you frequently use it in this mode. Also they usually come with deeper blades (1/2 or better) to resist deflection when used in horizontal mode. Still, it may be possible to adapt one for your work. http://www.bandsaws.co.uk /
Certainly a plasma cutter fits the bill for some of the work you describe, but it may not be within your budget: 188 hits advice + plasma cutter http://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.metalworking/search?group=rec.crafts.metalworking&q=advice+%22plasma+cutter%22&qt_g=Search+this+group
Im not sure of all the resources you have for searching for used tools in the UK. If you havent considered it, you might try: http://www.excite.co.uk/directory/Arts/Crafts/Metal_Craft/Model_Engineering http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk /

Thanks for the info Chris

How many sfm (surface feet per minute) does the blade run at?
Wood bandsaws tend to run in the 4000 sfm range, metal needs 75 -250 or so.

Is something like a hand bandsaw available in your area? Portaband?
Wes