Survey - Micrometer Vernier Usage

To All:
    I was just curious as to how many use the vernier on the sleeve/barrel of a micrometer (even when measuring to tenths)
[ ] I use the vernier every time I use a micrometer or depth mic.
[ ] I use the vernier only when the accuracy requires it.
[ ] I don't use the vernier - just estimate the tenths from the distance to the next .001 mark - from experience I've found it makes little real difference.
[ ] What's a vernier?
[ ] That's what digital mics are for.
Comments:
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

[X] I use the vernier only when the accuracy requires it.
--
Black Dragon

Never needlessly disturb a thing at rest.
[addendum]
Black Dragon wrote:

Comment:
Never without first checking the mic with a standard.
--
Black Dragon

In Newark the laundromats are open 24 hours a day!

Me too.
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

Standard or gage block stack?
Wes

BottleBob wrote:

--

Regards,
Steve Saling
BottleBob wrote:

and I always check against standards..
On Tue, 05 May 2009 08:44:00 -0700, BottleBob

Some mechanical digitals also have verniers Unka' George [George McDuffee] ------------------------------------------- He that will not apply new remedies, must expect new evils: for Time is the greatest innovator: and if Time, of course, alter things to the worse, and wisdom and counsel shall not alter them to the better, what shall be the end?
On May 5, 10:37am, F. George McDuffee <gmcduf...@mcduffee- associates.us> wrote:> >[ X] That's what digital mics are for.
Other than being easy to read, how does digital guarantee accuracy over mechanical?
http://longislandindicator.com/p16.html
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

BottleBob wrote:

fwiw, my answer is this, if you were fortunate enough to be trained the correct way to read verniers then good for you, you don't need anything more. Too many people were never trained how to properly read a set of verniers, show me someone who detests verniers and I'll show you someone who missed the proper training in reading verniers.. I trust verniers no different than digitals, only the vernier always works, the dials doesn't jump off track, the batteries never fail, they never fail to zero out, so if you actually know how to read a set of verniers what is not to like? Michael
--

Michael Gailey
3D Laser Scanning, Digital Object Reproduction

My only problem with verniers, regardless of what they are used on, is that I have to carry a big-ass magnifying glass everywhere because I CAN'T SEE THE DAMN LINES!!!
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

Have you looked into laser surgery to see if it would benefit you?
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Not much help for the type of astigmatism I have. And advancing cateracts. And just gettin' old.
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

What type do you have?
http://www.lasersurgeryforeyes.com/generalinfo.html
"The excimer laser works differently. It uses a charged mixture of fluorine gases to produce a cool beam of ultra violet light. The beam is unique because it breaks the molecular bonds and vaporizes tissue, one microscopic layer at a time. The excimer precisely sculpts tissue with almost no effect on the surrounding tissue. This ability makes it ideal for changing the shape of the cornea.
At present, refractive surgery is most effective for myopia, astigmatism and hyperopia. LASIK is the most recent advance in laser vision correction. LASIK is an acronym for Laser Assisted In-situ Keratomileusis. Compared to the original laser PRK, the surface of the cornea remains largely intact so that LASIK patients are more comfortable and see better more quickly."

Can't they be removed?

So you'd rather be young with no experience? ;>)
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Don't remember what the doc called it, but he said surgery wouldn't help. Eyes don't focus at distance or close up. Fairly sharp focus from about 5 feet on out to about 30 feet. Some days the distance is a lot better, others, maybe 15 feet on bad days. Even with trifocals, reading ten thousandths on 6 inch scale is hit or miss. Can't stay focused long enough tell what I'm seeing. The cateracts create such a "starburst" at night, I'm not comfortable driving then. And differences in each eye cause a little vertical offset double vision in any light. Didn't realize there were so many cars equipped with 8 headlights and two rows of taillights. :>
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

Keep in mind that technology changes very quickly. Stuff that was impossible five years ago is often commonplace today. If his opinion is three years old or more I'd check to find out if things have changed.

I'm now wearing trifocals and I hate them. I see much better up close taking my glasses off completely.... probably should get this checked. I spend a good part of the day with my Optivisor on. At least it goes well with the white lab coat I wear.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Uhh, this was at the end of February of this year.
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

On Fri, 8 May 2009 22:29:45 +0000 (UTC), Alphonso

Not all doctors are the same...some actually dont follow up on new advances. Frankly..Id get a second opinion.
We live in a fantastic age of medical advances.
Gunner