Survey - Micrometer Ratchet

ff wrote:

    You guys... everybody's trying out for Saturday Night Live!
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Friction thimble always, consistant, same as Charlie, always measures the same on gage blocks.
OT where the heck is the "master machinist / cad-cam guru" when these polls are taken, does he know what a mic looks like, (without a video or demo)?
"D"

Depends on weather or not the mic has such a device on it. I don't usually use the rachets -- they seem to get a little tight on the work. The friction thimble on the Uni-mike is indispenable.
My very first mic, a Starrett 1 inch 436 plain-Jane, is still my favorite mic after 46 years. And it passes inspection every year.
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

If it's a small or easily deformed part/material I'll either just measue by feel or use an indicating micrometer.
I wonder how many people use mike stands?
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d

I find a plain spindle does it for me. The reason I like it is because it's easier to tell if I'm square to the piece I'm measuring. If I am square the spindle stops dead! Then I back off and let my finger and thumb do the fine slipping. I can also more easily feel any debris if it's in the way.
If you clamp up on a part and the friction spindle slips, you think your are done. However if you're not actually square to the part you'll get a miss reading.
When measuring you want to find the actual size. So just closing to a "touch" is what you are after, as opposed to a torque reading.
Those are my reasons.
Regards,
Stan-

I get the same readings using either. Generally easier to just use barrel. As always if the dimension really matters, set up gage blocks to also measure to keep things honest.
Wes

Never. I can't get consistent measurements with them. I think it's because it puts an extra layer (for lack of a better term) between me and the part.
Bill Smith

Anyone who does not is an idiot. -plh

--
Where are we going and why am I in this HAND BASKET??