Survey - Micrometer Ratchet

I find a plain spindle does it for me. The reason I like it is because it's easier to tell if I'm square to the piece I'm measuring. If I am square the spindle stops dead! Then I back off and let my finger and thumb do the fine slipping. I can also more easily feel any debris if it's in the way.

If you clamp up on a part and the friction spindle slips, you think your are done. However if you're not actually square to the part you'll get a miss reading.

When measuring you want to find the actual size. So just closing to a "touch" is what you are after, as opposed to a torque reading.

Those are my reasons.

Regards,

Stan-

Reply to
stanley86

I seem to have lost my original survey post, so I'll piggy back it here.

I don't believe there is any "Right" or "Wrong" answer to this survey as long as the technique you use obtains the desired accuracy of measurement. I personally like to "feel" the contact directly rather than depend on a friction thimble or ratchet. In fact I have a uni-mic/step mic that had a friction thimble. I put some superglue in it to make it rigid. Some have suggested that jo-blocks be used. I believe that's an excellent idea for a measuring instrument that hasn't been used in a while.

Reply to
BottleBob

I though everyone kept the standard that comes with the mike , with the mike. Save the jo blocks for when you really need them. It drives me crazy to see someone use the set of class AA blocks to check a mike when they only are measuring to =/- .001

Reply to
john

I get the same readings using either. Generally easier to just use barrel. As always if the dimension really matters, set up gage blocks to also measure to keep things honest.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

John: As everyone knows, micrometer standards are usually set for the low end of the micrometer's measurement range. But most of the wear probably occurs around the middle of the range. So an occasional check in the middle of the range might be illuminating. The thing about miking jo-blocks is that you have to be very careful that the sharp edges of the carbide faces of the micrometer don't scratch the jo-block.

Reply to
BottleBob

Never. I can't get consistent measurements with them. I think it's because it puts an extra layer (for lack of a better term) between me and the part.

Bill Smith

Reply to
Bill Smith

Anyone who does not is an idiot.