Countersink Gages

Who invented this thing? Looks like one company did and everyone else copied it.
You are suppose to check many of these countersink gages on a surface
plate and makes sure it reads to what is set on the back of the gage. I notice that in the Mitutoyo catalog that their countersink gage comes with a setting master (a ring gage). What is the reason that many of the other countersink gages don't come with a setting master (a ring gage) ? You are just suppose to check it on a surface plate to the number imprinted on the back of the gage and set it to that and not question this method? What happens if the countersink gage wears?
What happens if the countersink gage wears?
Then it won't be accurate. geez....dude.....get an I.Q.
Your welcome Barn
On Sun, 10 May 2009 13:32:39 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

Usually the way things go.

That is the original factory setting, after that it's a good place to start. That being said the start position is usually good enough for this type of indicating gage unless someone decided to use it as a deburring tool.

Can you really not think of a reason?

Maybe if you're a Banquer. For the rest it never hurts to be able to check & verify readings over the range of a gage.

Same thing that happens when your micrometer wears, you inspect it for different conditions. Same thing applies to any gage including a countersink gage. That being said most Chamfer/Counter Sink callouts are pretty wide open tolerance so the Chamfer Check/Counter Sink indicating Gages are a good quick reliable check.
If you have a critical close tolerance dimension you may want to go with a calibrated set ring at or very near the dimension you are checking. In all cases you have to take into consideration deburring and/or corner radius as well, it effects the reading.
Tom

I do believe Jon Banquer, check kiter extreeordinaire, kited a few checks and enrolled himself in a BOCES/adult ed evening machine shop class.
If so, Tom, you are unwittingly helping Jon Banquer, Village Idiot, look like less of an idiot in sed class.
Pretty soon he'll be asking about sines and cosines....
--

Mr. PV'd

On Sun, 10 May 2009 23:36:25 -0400, "Proctologically Violated"
Could be helpfully the machining biz don't ya think......
Sine's, Signs, Cosines, Co-Signers, Angles and Angels all helpful at one time or another in a machine shop environment.
Tom
It sure would be nice if there were a way to check a chamfer gage all the way through its range. Does someone make something like a variable / adjustable ring gage?
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
On Sun, 10 May 2009 19:07:30 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

It's a precision angle............hint, hint, wink, wink.
Tom

Shhhhhhhhhhhh.......don't ruin my fun. The more he talks, the more I smile.
Barn