Reason Criterion Square Boring Head Exists?

What is the reason for the square boring head that Criterion makes? What advantage does it have over the round Criterion boring head?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

You mean other than range, bar holder positions and versatility?

Put the two of them side by side, what's the difference? Item #4 is the hint, three set screws equals three tool positions.

look at the tool

Turn the cutting edge 180° and what do you think can happen?

(Not criterion but you should get the idea.)

You now have an OD Turning tool.

-- Tom

brewertr

How to make a Boring Head;

brewertr

The maker of the mentioned boring head has a website of a wide variety of very interesting tooling made for his(?) home shop machines.

Here's the english-version link

Wild_Bill

Brother Lightfoot

Just be sure and use a rh boring tool or else the shank might come unscrewed from the head

Reply to
Brother Lightfoot

You got it backwards. The head might come unscrewed from the shank.

Reply to
Black Dragon

Oop sorry bout that.

Reply to
Brother Lightfoot

I think the reason they are still offered is some machinists think they are more rigid than the round ones.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Sounds reasonable to me. A 3" square head has more sliding surface contact area than a 3" round head.

Reply to
Black Dragon

With only one boring bar hole instead of three I would guess this would also help.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer