CAD/CAM for Hobby Users

Many of you may have already seen this on another CNC Forum but I'll repost it anyways.
And please do not take this as any sort of spam anyone. That is not
the intention.
Ok, so we are willing to try this out. I have talked to hundreds of different users out there that would enjoy having a complete CAD/CAM system but just can not afford to pay for one. Some systems as we already know offer competetive pricing although some also do not direct themselves at the hobby market.
We believe our hobbyists are just as important as a large corporation. We have added a hobbyist link to our webpage. Due to forum policies, I can not publicly discuss pricing although we would be happy to do so in private.
Feel free to take a look, send the info and give it a whirl. (Dolphin Hobby Page) http://www.dolphincadcamusa.com/Hobby.html
(Dolphin Main Page) http://www.dolphincadcamusa.com/index.html
We are hoping to help thousands more out there as we have helped many already.
Thanks for your time.
<schnerfgh>

Okay then, my apology for the initial grief--I post under several nym practical basis anyone worta flying 4 fduck ek plonk can tell cool so welcome aboard.

Its actually on topic and is a totally appropriate post according to the newsgroup charter.
Last time he did similar he caught hell here but only because his post was poorly thought out and contained some patently absurd claims etc.
So long as he doesn't get outa hand with excessive volume or frequency fine with me and likely fine most other regulars.
And a note to rodneydeee :
IMO you would likely gain substantially more credibility here if you were to also make a habit of occasionally contributing to the current discussion.

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 23:52:12 GMT, Randy Replogle

<snip>
===============Its on topic, and may be of help/interest to many of the contributors.
A emulator/simulator program that is totally free and works pretty good [no macros] can be downloaded at http://www.cncsimulator.com /
FWIW -- It would appear that one or more of the major controller manufacturers, e.g. FANUC, Siemens, etc. would make their emulator/simulator software downloadable for free. This would make sure that internet community is most familiar with their controller. Another possibility is to include with the cnc texts such as Smid's "CNC Programming Handbook"
In fact, I can see a USB "control panel" with jog buttons, etc. as a profitable adjunct. Membrane switches are cheap.
I don't know if they could compete with the gameboys and xboxes, but they would gain name brand recognition and familiarity. What you learn on is what you want to use at work.

Shop remains very, very busy with 50 hour weeks being the norm. Getting new Dell 24 inch monitors at work which will be used for a dual monitor setup for Mastercam X2 MR2. I'm looking forward to putting the Mastercam Operation Manager and the Layer Manager on the second smaller 19" monitor. I'm hoping when Mastercam X3 comes out it will allow me to change from say a contour to a pocket or vise versa without having to back out and start again like you have to do now. I'm using Mastercam's contour ramp toolpath a lot as I like the toolpath it creates. Wish it had a way to leave stock in Z for a finish pass. If I want this I have to create a new contour toolpath and drop the Z level from say 0 to .010 above the floor of say a counterbore. It's extra work and I see no reason why the Mastercam contour ramp toolpath shouldn't have the ability to do a finish pass.
Still have a lot to learn about Mastercam. Problem is the San Diego Mastercam VAR really sucks / is worthless so we all try and help each other out. Wish Mike Mattera would offer more extensive CD's for X2. His good 2 1/2 axis mill video stuff is only available for V9.
I'm doing a lot more prototype work rather than production. My programming time is way up which I like. Currently working with a lot of Pro-E IGES files. So far it all imports very clean with no problems. I'm getting paid so well now and having so much fun with the people I'm working with that I'm thinking of taking no new client work. Major shortage of good machinists in San Diego, CA probably helps my current situation.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

This would be useful when using the "plunge" option with ramp contour...step down .200 at a time & 1 final pass of .010. I don't have Mastercam in front of me, tho I think Helix bore does offer some sort of different option for finish passes
On Mar 30, 9:13 am, snipped-for-privacy@rise.zzn.com wrote:

Interesting. I usually just use the ramp contour at whatever DOC I want, and then do the "make complete pass at finish depth," and add a little bit of overlap. I always get a good finish that way. No need for an extra pass.

The "plunge" option does not allow for making the complete pass @ finish depth. This is a option in ramp contour that I only found about a year ago, but it has been around since at least V9. Basically imagine that you have a deep slot to cut...What this option does is it plunges straight down in Z, makes the cut with the lead in/lead out values, plunges again, cuts back to the original start point, plunges in Z again...you get the idea. Great way to rough out a slot. No matter what depth you give Mastercam rounds to the nearest value that is equally divisable by the nearest "depth value" that you gave it....
Example- say you have a slot .900 deep. In ramp contour with the plunge option you tell it to take .200 each time. Mastercam will actually post out .18 for each depth.
Now typically one would use a seperate finish tool to finish the walls & floor...but it would be nice to have the option in those cases where 1 tool could do the job.
Wow, everyone here is so nice to each other, lol. Imagine everyone on these topics working in a shop together. That would be fun. :)
On Mar 30, 9:42 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Some people are forced to open their own shops because no one can stand working with them. Same reason a lying scumbag like Joe788 won't post with his real name and location.
Can you feel the "Love" in this newsgroup?
LOL
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

I opened my own shop because I wanted to make $1,000,000 a year instead of $100,000. Some people have slightly more ambitious goals than being a 47 year old CNC Operator, but to each his own.

Plenty of people here know my name and location. YOU just aren't one of them, because you're a sociopath with nothing to lose.
How's "Knopp Machine" doing, Captain Anonymous?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

    I wouldn't read too much into it. I'll tell you the way I see it. Machining can be, and often is, a high stress occupation. It seems a lot of people tend to use newsgroups as an outlet for that stress.     You also have people that are bitter because they are going through an extended mid-life crisis and realize they will not likely ever achieve the dreams and potential of their youth or be any more than they presently are, so try to alleviate that personal angst by insulting and belittling others.     Some seem to have just never seen the need, or use of, developing "people" skills so civility is almost foreign nature to their makeup.     Some seem so resentful with what life has dealt them that they thrive on fomenting conflict in others, to the point of starting confrontational subjects such as politics, religion, and anything else that might elicit a series of negative responses where they can criticize others.     Some feel the need to present a hard-as-nails image by insulting & attacking others as a preemptive strike, to offset any attacks on themselves.     Some can't deal with unpleasant emotions other than anger, so focus primarily on that emotion alone.
    But it's all mostly pomp and posturing, tending to be driven by low self-esteem and the desire to appear worldly, knowledgeable and tough, rather than face and deal with feelings of disappointment, frustration, and disillusionment.     We're all really just soft, vulnerable, easily hurt, furry little pussy cats inside, whether or not we're able to admit it to ourselves or others.     The ones that make the biggest fuss are usually the ones in greatest need of self-analysis and introspection, AND the ones that tend to deny their "people" problems lie within themselves.
    Besides, a little newsgroup squabbling is better than someone going postal in their workplace, eh?
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
Ignorant:
"Jon, I never forgot any of your postings about SDRC I made the wrong decision in spite of what you said. There have been a number of times that my Wife has told me to be careful in dealing with someone and after words says "I told you so". She earned the right to say it as well as you have earned the right to say I TOLD YOU SO. I made a decision that went against my better judgment and as usual it turned out poorly." .... Tom Brewer
Ignorant:
"I do not purchase programs unless I know before hand that they are what I want and/ or need."... Tom Brewer who can't follow his own advice. See above.
Ignorant:
Tom Brewer thinking he and his pals like Joe788 can play their Usenet staking games, lie on a repeated basis and suffer no consequences for doing so.
Ignorant:
"I have shot myself in the foot, not an easy thing to do when it is in your mouth and your head is in your ass."... Tom Brewer admitting what he's often like.
Ignorant:
Someone who has a proven track record of not being able to deal with or accept the kind of change that occurs in the cadcam market... now that's ignorant or should we say that's Tom Brewer.
Ignorant:
Someone who doesn't live in San Diego yet insists there is no shortage of CNC machinists here... now that's ignorant or should we say that's Tom Brewer.
Ignorant:
Someone who criticizes someone on SolidWorks but has never helped anyone with specific SolidWorks answers. Someone who is not able to answer any questions that "Vinny" had on master modeling or skeletal modeling. Someone who has never posted any models they have done... now that's ignorant or should we say that's Tom Brewer.
Ignorant:
Tom Brewer's failure to understand who Matt Lombard really is.
Ignorant:
Tom Brewer's unable to comprehend what's on the cover of the SolidWorks Bible:
"Whether you're a new, intermediate, ...."
Ignorant:
Someone who can't understand more than a simple "I love it!" or "I hate it!" type of comment ... now that's ignorant or should we say that's Tom Brewer.
Ignorant:
Tom Brewer implies that because you acknowledge that the $25 SolidWorks course covers subjects / topics that the $650 SolidWorks course didn't that you're now somehow an idiot and got screwed when you decided to purchase the $650 SolidWorks course.
Tom Brewer Writing About SmartCAM:
"I ended up paying a consultant $40.00 per hour for two weeks."
"FYI, when I said "Solid modeling" in reference to SmartCam it was tongue in cheek. What you could not see is that when I was typing that I was laughing to myself. Anyone that uses SmartCam and Solid Modeling in the same sentence cannot be taken seriously."
Recently Tom Brewer said SmartCAM had no user interface problems and yet the record shows Tom Brewer thinks SmartCAM does indeed have user interface problems:
"The only real problem that I run into is that the screen can get cluttered and it becomes difficult to pick and choose elements in Free Form. I just use the utility masking feature to hide what is in the way, that cures the problem but it does add work (I tried the snap filtering and snap options but for me it was not the best way), I have seen other packages that handle picking and choosing in better."
Conclusion:
Tom Brewer thinks he's a SolidWorks expert. A SolidWorks expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Gary Knutson, Tom Brewer and Cliff Huprich Tactics Exposed:
http://www.jewishgen.org/forgottencamps/Exhib/HowtoEngl.html
"Sticks and Stones -- If you're being wiped out with evidence and reasoning you cannot refute, you can always take refuge in complaining about the language being used by your adversaries. For example, if they say, "I've already explained that it takes less gas to kill people than lice, and therefore there are fewer cyanide residues remaining on the gas chamber walls than on the delousing chamber walls, you moron," you can respond by complaining about their use of the word "moron." You can actually evade quite a bit of serious discussion by spending a lot of time condescendingly lecturing the newsgroup about their use of trashy language. But this approach doesn't work very well in building credibility. You may view yourself as an arbiter of social discourse but you'll actually come off like a den-mother scurrying around excoriating the little Cub Scouts to behave themselves."
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 15:39:29 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

Exactly what does any of that have to do with anything in this group that I have posted?
How does my posting direct quotes of yours relate to revisionism?
How does my posting direct on topic questions to you where you can't/won't answer relate to revisionism?
How does your forging posts in cyberspace and your wife spending years in prison for forgery & identity theft relate to revisionism?
Tom
[...]

What tactics? Posting YOUR direct quotes, with dates, that simply prove you're clueless? Seems pretty straightforward to me.
This one's my favorite:
[ I'm committed to working with HSMWorks to doing just that. Shouldn't be too hard because their head of US operations and I see things in almost the exact same way and because HSMWorks is interested in what I have to say and wants to work with me. ]- Jon Banquer -
[ Jon is not affiliated with HSMWorks ApS in any way and that we cannot control what people are writing on the web. Anybody can get evaluation licenses of HSMWorks and test it themselves. I hope this clarifies any doubt. ]- HSMWorks ApS -
What is your real name Joe788?
Where are you located?
Why do you have to hide behind an alias instead of posting with your real name?
Are you afraid you might be held accountable for your many, many lies because you're a lying scumbag piece of shit?
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

What lies, Mr. Bonkers? I'm anxiously awaiting your response.