Live center point grinding

I had a MT 4 live center with a somewhat damaged CNC type point. Yesterday as I had the dumore tool post grinder on the lathe anyway, (making a R8 to Kwick Switch 200 adapter for my Old Hurco), I thought I'd try regrinding the point in situ. (I hate using the tool post grinder as I'm paranoid about the grit on the lathe) Anyway, I noticed the tip had a short non tapered area just in front of the bearing housing. I took a large "O" ring and looped it over the center and over a hand drill chuck's OD to rotate the center point while grinding. Worked very nicely. Probably a million other ways to do this but it worked for me and cost nothing. Used a wet bath towel over the ways and this seemed to catch a lot of the grit from the grinder...

Reply to
oldjag

I use aluminum foil sprayed heavily with WD-40. I used oiled newspaper in the past, held in place with tape, but the foil works better.

Like you, I'm really paranoid about it.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress