Point tracking on live video

For an automation experiment I need to track 4 points on video frames.

Imagine a camera looking at a book like rectangular object held by a person. This person will move the book on vertical and horizontal directions. Motion may have some tilt as well. What I want to to do is find tha corners of the object and track and log their positions on each frame.

I would like to do this on a live video (15-25 frames/sec, 640x480 or

1024x768 resolution) of firewire or USB camera attached to a Linux (or Windows) PC. Is there any opensource freeware SW for this ?

Thanks for help.

Reply to
Yugo Ho

something like this?

-howy

Reply to
howy

THANK YOU.. Spot On!.. Yes, that is almost identical to my application. That is what I'm looking. BUT I'm trying to find a freeware opensource code. Do you know one?

Reply to
Yugo Ho

There is a very nice series of articles on robotic vision in SERVO magazine, written by the creator of MAVIS, the vision system used on the LEAF robots.

D. Jay Newman

D. Jay Newman

I wrote a script in MATLAB that finds the corners of a sheet of paper for a computer vision homework assignment. It relies on the paper having significant contrast with the background, though. I can you send you the source code if you want it. It uses and edge filter and a hough transform.

Reply to
Mark Haase

Intel's "Open Source Computer Vision Library"

One of their detection samples is real-time face tracking.

Later, Daniel

Reply to
D Herring

Take a look at openCV. It includes several examples that demonstrate tracking. If your book like object can have a checkerboard pasted on the front then opencv has a function that will probably do exactly what you need.

Andrew Worcester