experiment on frozen bottles

I am going to conduct an experiment this winter on how water freezes. I will take several bottles of glass and fill them various levels. What I
want to determine is how ice moves and whether it will break bottles only if there is not enough air space remaining. Whether a 1/2 full bottle will move the ice upwards and spare the glass from breaking. And to how full I can fill the bottle before it does break under various cold winter temperatures.
I have seen in past where a cola aluminum bottle expanded completely outwards but it did not burst. I have seen milk jugs full of water frozen and yet the plastic was resilient enough to not burst on some but others shattered.
If anyone has information already on how ice moves in a container, please direct me to such a website.
Archimedes Plutonium www.archimedesplutonium.com www.iw.net/~a_plutonium whole entire Universe is just one big atom where dots of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Why wait for winter? Use your freezer. I was surprised to find a friend that actually freezes fresh apple cider in the original glass gallon jugs in his. Never had one break but plastic jugs do not hold up ;) Frank
Frank Logullo wrote:

That seems a little bit right to me for I vaguely remember a cocacola bottle frozen with the ice popping out the cap and the ice extended out of the bottle. Yet the bottle not broken. But bottles in those days were thick and tough
But I need some science data on glass with frozen water inside and what it takes to break

You might want to check with your former neighbors at CRREL in Hanover, NH (located just up the road from the Hanover Inn.) The ice engineering people may have done some work which may be of relevance to your proposed research. In particular, I know that Gary Koh has done some relevant work in this area: he specializes in making very smooth sheets of ice by using very pure water which is frozen under very stable conditions...
It will make a difference how much air is dissolved in the water, how much other stuff is in the water, how even the temperatures are from one part of the bottle to another, and whether or not the water gets shaken up, etc. while freezing.
--Tim Horrigan