Thistle seed to solve Global Warming

I am favoring thistle seed over that of Cottonwood seed as the reflectant placed in the atmosphere by airplanes in the apogee of their flightpath. Thistle because it is easy to grow and harvest and is more durable and reflective than cottonwood seed.

All we need to do is match the Pinatuba volcano eruption of 1992 with its coolest summer. Pinatuba emitted some sulfur compounds of a 30 km cube into the atmosphere, reflecting sunlight. So all I need is 30,000 meter cube of thistle seed. How much farmland is this? Given some assumptions it is 30,000 farms of 30,000 square meters all in thistle. This is 900,000,000 square meters or 900,000 square kilometers. Now what states in the USA could devote nearly a million square kilometers to growing thistles for their seeds? Now the land area of the whole of the USA is about 9 million square kilometers. So, 1/9 of the land of the USA growing thistle seed could solve Global Warming.

But I think thistle is easy to grow in poor countries such as Africa and Afghanistan, (instead of growing opium, grow thistle). And if the pay were set standard pay of say a few cents per thistle-seed-capsule would mean a large income to poor families of the world.

We would need material scientists to tell us how good of a reflectant. How durable of a reflectant. How long will they last up there. How long would it take for the world's airplanes to deliver 30 cubic kilometers of thistle seed into the atmosphere. Will they clump up there?

Archimedes Plutonium

whole entire Universe is just one big atom where dots of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Reply to
a_plutonium

If you think 30,000 cubic meters is the same as 30 cubic kilometers, well, I guess you aren't so good at math or physics, are you?

Reply to
AJ

Cirsium arvense or Canada thistle is what I have. Not sure if I have Cirsium vulgare or Bull thistle.

And whether the world has an even better seed crop to solve Global Warming. It would be nice to have some plant without all those stickers and grows as wild and easily as thistle.

It is too difficult to harvest cottonwood seed trees some 50 feet tall or taller.

Dandelion seed are too fragile. I need a seed that can be stored easily and then put into airplanes and emitted at the apogee of their flightpath. So that constraint rules out dandelion seed.

Perhaps cotton may do. Perhaps cotton may even be better than thistle seed. Can we cut cotton into very fine and small fibers. And how does cotton perform as a reflectant of sunlight?

Archimedes Plutonium

whole entire Universe is just one big atom where dots of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Reply to
a_plutonium

Reply to
wxforecaster

NOTE: Sci.chem, Sci-materials have a thread exploring the use of Thistles as sustainable energy production cropping.

Now, every farmer knows that the Thistle -- in whatever form -- is the bane of agriculture, a weed intrusive, difficult even painful to eradicate. The Bible writes that thistles are cursed to agriculture and that man would suffer eradicating them in order to grow cereals and other crops -- a most anciently known fact. Here in Western Oregon the thistles are so stubborn, tuborous, and sharp thorned, they are monsters eradicated or taking over and so difficult then to root out.

Like the scientist dismissing coal miners as 'unskilled workers' are we failing to consult the farmer on his own science & craft -- ready to sow the most pernicious of weeds and to rob Peter to pay Paul?

Ask any farmer; are thistles vis-=E0-vis his staple crops a plausable idea, and with air-borne seeds drifting for hundreds of miles and on? I have never seen a man 'run out of town on a rail' or 'tarred and feathered', have any of y'all? Perhaps some of these ideas had better be vetted on Mr & Mrs Farmer before proceeding too far . . . !

CS

Reply to
ChemistrySet

snipped-for-privacy@OperaMail.com writes

I presume this is a joke.

Reply to
Oz

In message , a snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Never mind that, how does it perform as jet fuel?

Reply to
Richard Herring

Now I needed to shift this discussion to sci.bio.botany where someone can answer this question. For I noticed on thistle that it seems to be able to grow during the summer to provide not just 1 crop harvest of seed but 3 crop harvests of seed. Where it is fully mature by June for a first harvest, cut the patch down and grow a 2nd crop and harvest the seed by Aug, then cut the patch and grow a 3rd crop and harvest by October. Correct me if wrong or right, thistle as a solver of global warming grown as a crop to harvest its seeds in order to put into the upper atmosphere by airplanes emitting in the apogee of their flightpath, can have 3 harvests per year.

Is that true about Thistle???

And perhaps growing thistle will have many agriculture firsts. The first time a weed, and highly obnoxious weed is used as a beneficial crop. But is it the first crop that can have 3 harvests per year. I know alfalfa has several cuts during the year but unlike thistle.

Now I computed that if thistle has one crop of seed per year would require 1/9 of all the land of the USA to solve global warming using Pinatuba 1992 summer as the model. Or instead of 1/9 of USA land to grow thistle, 2 countries the sum size of Afghanistan growing thistle. I prefer drug countries to switch from drugs to thistle solving global warming. Or many poor countries paid a international price for each thistle pod of seed.

But if thistle can be grown to have 3 crop harvests per year would mean that instead of 1/9 of all of USA to solve global warming we have merely 1/27. So instead of say the land of California and Texas used to grow thistle to solve global warming, all of a sudden becomes merely the land of say Kansas that grows three crops of thistle per year and solves global warming.

We may have trouble in harvesting the seed pods as to fragility. And it maybe the case were it is best to grow all the thistle in one country or state or location and thence distribute it to all the airplane flights.

Archimedes Plutonium

whole entire Universe is just one big atom where dots of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Reply to
a_plutonium

Is that better than the ubiquitous purple-flowered Scotch Thistle?

Spectacularly!

Reply to
John Savage

John Savage wrote: (snipped)

Had to look this one up. Found it to be Scotch thistle (Onopordum acanthium). I could not find data as to the seeds. Whether these seeds would be better than other thistle species seed for use as a Sun reflectant to solve global warming (emitted by airplanes in apogee of flightpath).

Apparently there are many types of thistle. I do not know what plant seed is the best for solving global warming, or whether there is some plant outside of thistles.

Hopefully the best plant seed is a weed that can easily be made an agriculture crop and whose seed is perfect as a Sun reflectant and will stay in the upper atmosphere for a long time. Hopefully we can get

3 harvests of this weed per year.

Maybe in the harvesting the seed capsule is first cut then the rest of the plant stalk is cut to the ground and grinded into pieces that is also useable. Allowing the thistle to regrow for a 2nd and even 3rd yearly harvest.

Maybe cotton is better than thistle when the cotton is grinded into tiny pieces. But the thistle seed is meant to be airborne. And maybe that design is better than cotton.

I would like a plant that is less thorny than thistle. A plant where poor people and children can go out and collect and earn some money. I am hoping it is a weed and that it is less thorny than these vicious Scotch thistle.

Archimedes Plutonium

whole entire Universe is just one big atom where dots of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Reply to
a_plutonium

I know that "Niger Seed" is sold as bird feed here in Ontario, and farmers get piiiiisssed off about that. The birds are the vector that carries them for miles, depositing them in fields. Most regular farmers use roundup eradication, so thistles aren't a big deal to them, but the organic oilseed producers have a much harder time.

-JD

Reply to
John D