Hornby and global warming

Not many years ago if you turned over a plastic toy etc. it would have printed on the bottom 'Made in Hong Kong', nowadays it will probably say 'Made in China' (Hong Kong is now part of China again so ...... ).

As China are now deemed to be one of the worlds worst contributor to global warming gasses I wonder what companies like Hornby will do if the UK or EC public places an official or unofficial trade embargo against China ?

Are any of the savings made from using cheaper manufacturing costs really passed onto the customers !

Reply to
Dragon Heart

The "savings" are passed on to all of us in the form of polution and global warming.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Dragon Heart said the following on 20/02/2007 02:46:

How much did a Hornby Britannia cost when it was made in Margate? How much does a far better and more labour-intensive Hornby Britannia cost made in China? I bet if you adjust for inflation you are getting much more model for your money now than you were then, so in cash terms you are getting a saving. It's just that the world might not last long enough for you to enjoy those savings ;-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"Dragon Heart" wrote

No, they are passed on in the way of higher profits for Hornby's shareholders.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Has China now become the world's worst polluter in absolute terms or per head of population. I would have thought that to be the worst polluter per head that they would still have a long way to go to beat the US. Given that nobody gave a toss when the US was/is the worst polluter why should we now be concerned that China is set to take the lead. I am sure that the US wouldn't have accepted a trade embargo so why should China accept one.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

One of the problems is that countries like India and China see a double standard in Western policy.

As you say the US is the biggest polluter but that is only part of the story.

They became the economic powerhouse they are through the kind of pollution they object to China having.

They took the lead over safer refrigerants than the ozone destroying CFCs, and expected developing countries to restrict themselves to their use - again after having got where they are through using far more of the old kind themselves.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

As a US citizen I freely admit that we pollute too much and I support politicians and organizations that are trying to fix that.

But I think the above is a little unfair. The US was using CFCs and DDT and the like for a long time before their consequences were understood. When the dangers became clear we stopped using them, albeit not as quickly as I would have liked.

Now the dangers are known. For China and the like to claim they should be able to use them knowingly because we used them unknowingly doesn't hold water.

BTW, I remember when DDT was hailed as a wonderful thing. I'm sure some of you do too :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I was merely explaining why the developing countries see a double standard.

Look at it from their point of view.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

"Larry Blanchard" wrote

Yes and if it were in current use there would be far fewer human deaths from malaria and the like.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Larry Blanchard" wrote BTW, I remember when DDT was hailed as a wonderful thing. I'm sure some of you do too :-).

Larry.

OK, So I know what CFC's are, BWTF is DDT ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote

A very effective insecticide.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Where I grew up, if we hadn't used liberal doses of DDT to keep the little critters at bay, we would have been eaten alive.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

You write as if there was an alternative to sourcing from China.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Which is a good thing, of course.

Customers have the choice to pay or not pay (except in Kim's world where they will be directed by the state). If the price is not right the customer will not pay, ergo no manufacturing for China and no profits for Hornby.

Seems to me that if a Hornby Britannia is priced at £799.99 or whatever, and sells in the budgeted quantities, then everyone wins.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Hmmm.... the thing about trade embargos is that they are unlikely to be accepted by the embargoed party, and are always imposed and enforced by the other party.

China will, in the fullness of time, tell us I am sure, exactly what our policy is to be on all matters, and our politicians will bend over on our behalf and take it up the whatsit as always.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Oh, sure. I used to go into the attic and puff the DDT dust on the flies in the window and watch them, er, let's not go that far. :-)

Reply to
Wolf

In message , Steve W writes

There is. Korea and Viet Nam.

When China gets too expensive, manufacture will move to those countries.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Steve W" wrote

Check out the prices of new & used Hornby on eBay. They hint at the market being grossly over-supplied.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Steve W" wrote

Of course there's an alternative, ask Peco.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

So long as we live in a society whose only guiding force is short term profit there is (almost) no alternative.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter