Hornby and global warming

More than that, in fact. The most southerly inhabited point on the mainland of Great Britain is The Lizard, Cornwall, at 50°N.

"While the 49th parallel often is thought of as the Canadian boundary with the U.S., roughly two-thirds of the Canadian population lives south of the 49th parallel, around the Great Lakes and the Gulf of St. Lawrence."

Vancouver and Victoria are also south of 50°.

The Northwest Angle of Minnesota, USA (130 sq.mi.) is north of 49°.

Reply to
MartinS

And the fact that Canada is the most northerly part of a continent extending beyond the Arctic Circle - like Russia.

Reply to
MartinS

Which US manufacturers?

Reply to
MartinS

FutureShop.ca had some amazing bargains on-line only over Christmas. I saved $500 on a large-screen LCD TV, and the HP Colour LJ1600 was $199.

Reply to
MartinS

When I'm looking to make a computer or entertainment purchase, I peruse on line the weekly specials at the main big box retailers, including Future Shop, Best Buy, Staples and Wal-Mart. I can usually find what I want at a discount within a week or two. For computer peripherals and accessories I also check out an OEM parts dealer.

Reply to
MartinS

We're on opposite sides of the debate - sure there have been periods when the earth has been warmer and periods when the earth has been colder. However the _rate of change_ this time is taking decades where previously it took tens of thousands of years. If scientists are wrong we're ok, if the majority (95%) are right then in about two generations we are in deep shit.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Unlikely, they are already melting anually at the North Pole.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Errr, the icebergs floating past New Zealand are pretty much a first for us for the last millenium (as far back as human habitation goes in this country). Yes, we have the equivalent of the Gulf Stream which flows southwards to meet the east coast a bit north of Dunedin, hence the regular visits of sharks to that region while the rest of the coast north of Dunedin sees sharks and icebergs equally rarely.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Volcanic activity - green areas amongst the snowbound countryside.

Reply to
Greg Procter

We're in trouble because the change is happening and will continue to happen for the next 20-50 years. If we don't make major changes to the way we polute now the changes will continue beyond that 20-50 years.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Paul Boyd wrote :-

" The story I heard was that they called it Greenland to make people think it was green, and thereby attract settlers. "

Yes good old Eric the Red, sailed ( some say exiled for murder ) with his family westwards from his home in Iceland and discovered a new uninhabited land which he named Greenland. After 3 years of living in isolation he apparently returned to Iceland and from there, stimulated and excited by his tales and descriptions, hundreds of people packed up their families / belongings and followed him to the new land. Currently only 15% of Greenland land mass is green but it could have been more in his time.

One of it's claims to fame is that the ice on Greenland holds about

10% of the words fresh water.

History lesson over !

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

It's probably got something to do with my aunt ! She moved to the Great Lakes area about 35 years ago .... she could make ice form on a fireman's coal shovel !

Chris B

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Not really, 10-15000 years is more of a very small blip. now 10-15 million years is a bit longer and may be significant.

Doesnt ice form in the central parts then slowly get pushed outwards till falls off outer edges ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Eric and quite a few of his fellow Scandanavians called into Orkney on their way to Greenland, Iceland & North America. Orkney was part of the Norwegian kingdom until about 500 years ago.

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

Here in the Pacific we're perhaps more aware of ocean temperatures and rising oceans. Since the time of European exploration we've been aware of the habited atolls amongst the Pacific Islands. For fifty years the lowest of them have slowly become less habitable and this had been put down to them slowly sinking. We now have 25 years of accurate data on many of them - put simply, they are not sinking, the sealevel is rising and rising at an ever increasing rate. When there's only a metre or two metres clear of leap tide storms the locals become very aware of such changes and when fresh water springs turn salty the islands become uninhabitable - that is happening NOW.

Imagine London when the sea level has risen a metre! (gone)

Reply to
Greg Procter

The price is exactly the same if 1GBP = US$2 - only the number on the price tag is double.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Perhaps, but then i was a geologist so anything younger than 50 million years is just upstart material. Except for mid-ocean ridge igneous rocks - now they are interesting.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Most of Canada is on a big continent, most of it uninfluenced by the sea.

Reply to
Greg Procter

at

95% of scientists say it's a done deal - 5% say it's not. What I object to is people saying we don't need to make any changes until we're 100% certain it has happened.
Reply to
Greg Procter

History (from about 5 minutes ago backwards) is littered with topics where

95% of scientists were wrong. Its the nature of science. I dont mind making changes, but it depends what they are and what is expected to be achieved. as far as this government is concerned its only about headlines and jobs for civil servants, consultants and council employees.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon