Hornby and global warming

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com said the following on 22/02/2007 14:48:

Not last time I tried it, it wasn't. That is a real pain - I needed it when the aforementioned Victorian MD, who was also blind as a bat, had his 19" monitor set to 800x600 and I wanted to be able to use 1280x1024. It had to stay at silly lo-res...

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Don't worry too much about the severe droughts in Australia, we're getting all your rainfall here in New Zealand, and we'd best not mention the icebergs at a latitude equivalent in the northern hemisphere to southern Spain.

Regards, Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

We're getting icebergs floating past here in New Zealand. But what I was attempting to get at is that changes, or lack of changes, at one specific point on the globe doesn't prove or disprove global change.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

OK, lets try its not cause and effect. the selling price does not have to decrease just because the manufacturing costs decrease. Also the selling price can be decreased at any time and not just when manufacturing costs decrease.

When manufacturing costs decrease it is an opportunity to gain a competitive advantage by decreasing prices. However that is just one option and one occasion.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Also for all we know the previous few years of no icebergs could be the anomaly.

Cheers, simon

Reply to
simon

How many do you get between the UK and southern Portugal?

Reply to
Greg Procter

Think none have been recorded during the last 2000 years, but apparently theyve been seen floating past New Zealand recently.

Reply to
simon

Yup and it has been pretty much debunked. The eagle eggshell thing was a myth.

david

Reply to
chorleydnc

Yes, huge areas of iceflow have been breaking off from Antarctica and floating north. It's just one more indication of major climate change coming.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Perhaps but for all we know the previous few years of no huge areas of iceflow breaking off from Antarctica could be the anomaly.

Reply to
simon

Ice is something like the annual rings in trees, one can count the years of snowfall within any given block of ice - the ice breaking off has been there for the order of 10-15,000 years so the anomaly you suggest was a very long one.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Exactly, but try telling that to a global warming advocate. What they never show you are the glaciers that are growing. They conveniantly forget that Greenland is so called because it was, er, green when the Vikings settled it. That northern Scotland was once temperate enough to have a thriving population, etc, etc... That many, many temperature records show little or no appreciable increase in recent times (see temperature of the week at

Instead they resort to ad hominem attacks and introduce terms like "global warming denial" conflating it with holocaust denial and trying to make out that we are somehow evil.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

There is a warm ocean current called the Gulf Stream that would melt any icebergs that were daft enough to migrate south for the winter. However, we are told that with global warming the route of the Gulf Stream is likely to change, so, who knows?, we may yet see icebergs between the UK and southern Portugal.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

It also yields other interesting data like which came first, the rise in temperature or the CO2:

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Jane Sullivan said the following on 23/02/2007 08:27:

I think exactly that has been forecast - the Gulf Stream is pretty much the only reason we don't get icebergs this far south. NZ has no equivalent to the Gulf Stream, AFAIK. It's also why the UK climate is so temperate - all that tropical heat heading our way in ocean currents

- just like central heating.

No Gulf Stream, no tropical heat, icebergs.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com said the following on 23/02/2007 08:26:

The story I heard was that they called it Greenland to make people think it was green, and thereby attract settlers.

But

debunks that :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

The shop is irrelevant. US manufacturers fix the price of items such that an item retailing for $1 in the US retails for £1 in the UK.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Once again, you show you know absolutely nothing about the price of PCs.

Other than being a customer who has been looking for a new PC for the last year and has checked every source you could think of, that is absolutely true :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Once again, you show you know absolutely nothing about the price of PCs.

Also, having just returned from the PC department of Staples on Tuesday night, I probably have a better idea of what they're charging right now than you do? A Canon colour laser for example was £399, a long way off the $299 quoted for the HP colour laser by Martin. When did you last visit Staples?

MBQ

Reply to
kim

Viking Direct is offering a Canon LBP-5000 Colour Laser Printer for £179.99 VATEX (£211.49 VATIN)

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher