Hornby and global warming

Practically any you can think of. Dell and HP for a kick-off. My Seagate USB-drive $80 in the US, £80 in the UK.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

It's the opposite Greg. The number on the price tag is the same, the price is double. An item which sells for 100 Dollars in the US sells for 100 Pounds in the UK which is equal to 200 Dollars.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

It does in glaciers, but in Antarctica ice forms almost everywhere in almost every situation. Some bits of it near the sea melt every summer while other bits usually don't. Bits that haven't melted in 10,000 years and then suddenly break away and float north a quarter of the way around the world tend to draw quizical glances!

Reply to
Greg Procter

We've got some of those in amongst the icebergs!

Reply to
Greg Procter

I can sympathise in regard to your government, but you did after all vote them into power!

Reply to
Greg Procter

Depends on which end of the telescope you're holding! If the US price is $100- and the UK price is UKP50- then only the number is different.

An NZ dollar is US70c and UK 38p - US tourists make comments like "we thought coffee would be cheaper" while Brits say "is that a lot?"

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Erm, if you're a geologist, you should be aware that one of the sources of data on past weather is sand and silt sediments in lake bottoms, which layers very nicely, trapping differing quantities of organic matter each year as the weather affects biological activity in the water. Sedimentary rocks generally provide some data on past climates, too. And of course fossil assemblages allow inferences on ecologies, which in turn allow inferences about climate.

So you should be aware that almost all climate changes in the past happened very slowly. The few probable exceptions triggered mass extinctions. In fact, it was these mass extinctions that led paleontologists to look at climate change as a possible factor in the loss of life. The data tend to strongly support the hypothesis that catastrophic climate changes are lethal to most life. Not because living creatures are killed directly by bad weather, but because rapid climate change disrupts the ecology.

Those mid-ocean igneous rocks are interesting to me because their sulphur chemistry supports life unaffected by the climate...

HTH

Reply to
Wolf

Alan P Dawes said the following on 23/02/2007 17:06:

Kim seems to be ignoring the fact that it is actually possible to buy in the UK at these prices so long as you don't go to Staples. That would demolish the dollar/pound theory!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Greg Procter said the following on 23/02/2007 23:24:

It's not all bad then :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Greg Procter said the following on 24/02/2007 00:28:

That would have to be a very loose definition of the term "you" :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Not me personally, recognised him for what he was right from the start.

Reply to
simon

and the type locality for Dunite - on the mainland that is.

Reply to
simon

The cause of mass extinctions is not known and still under fierce debate. The most dramatic one being meteor impact causing huge volcanic activity with corresponding loss on sunlight for many months. Be very careful in studying mass extinctions, some were very sudden and happened over a period of a few million years.

Sedimentary rocks and fossil assemblages show only broad changes to climate - an area went from very hot to very cold over millions of years. The reason may be known such as continental drift and is of no use in comparing with a change of 1 degree in the average temperature in a certain area during the last 100 years.

So is there a huge number of lakes evenly distributed throughout the globe that all show the same pattern of consistent average temperatures over a few

1000's of years then a recent statistically abnormal rise during the last 50 or so ?

erm the sulphur chemistry is one component of their climate

not that i'm prone to disagreeing !

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

In that case you knew the choice was between the disgraced Tories and the New Tories.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

A high percentage of the World's major cities are located at sea level. Yeah, there will be some pluses!

Reply to
Greg Procter

A majority of actual voters.

Reply to
Greg Procter

That wasn't such a difficult task, was it?

Reply to
Greg Procter

You're taking me out of my knowledge comfort zone. =8^)

Reply to
Greg Procter

Is that due to your having a (effectively) two party system?

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Greg Procter" wrote

It's all happened before and will all happen again. If a handful of politicians think they can beat nature then they're on a loser.

John.

Reply to
John Turner