Hornby and global warming

What can one say? Here in NZ we generally trust our MPs (rightly, I think) while it appears that in the USa you generally distrust yours. (again, apparently with reason)

Reply to
Greg Procter

You're on! The question is the amount of the rise, not whether or not it _is_ happening.

Reply to
Greg Procter

at

Yes and so do you.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Greg Procter" wrote

Oh indeed, but I'd question WHY it is happening, and believe it is a natural cyclic event which has happened on any number of occasions in the past.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

May be schists around, but dunite is a plutonic igneous rock. Mostly olivine so green in colour. Can be weathered to serpentinite - soapstone. One of the most interesting rocks, equivalent to a princess or a duchess. Anyone who wants to see some in the uk can visit the Lizard in Cornwall - our very own bit of ocean crust.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Fair enough - however, by the time the theories are proved or disproved it will have happened.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Yes, I think I know what you mean now. I had reused the memory space to retain details of the BR class 33 but it was still there in the backup section! Canterbury is mostly schists with the odd bit of dirt in between.

Reply to
Greg Procter

The electoral college was there from the beginning, as was the two-senators per State Senate. Both were set up to prevent the rule of the mob. Keep in mind that the only example the Founding Fathers had of democracy in action was the First French Republic, a bloody and bloody-minded mess that was brought to an end by Napoleon. The thinkers of the day identified the failures of the French revolution with the rule of the mob. The system the drafters of the US Constitution set up was more like the Roman Republic, ie, a constitutional oligarchy, than what we now think of a modern democracy. Etc. It is of course more complicated than that, but if you want to understand the US mode of government, that's as good a place to start as any. Note that most of the early Amendments to the Constitution were designed to limit the power of government, several of them saying so explicitly.

The one thing that I can't understand is that federal elections in the US are run according to Sate law - and every Sate has different laws about how to do it. Here in Canada, each Province does its own thing in Provincial elections, but the Federal election is run according to Federal law.

One final observation: I don;t know of any country in the world that is governed according to what their constitutions say. All of them ignore the bits they don't like or which have turned out not to work as intended. And all countries interpret their constitutions - what else can you do, after all? Words don't have fixed meanings, and contexts change. And then some seeker after True Freedom upsets the apple cart by agitating for some right guaranteed in said constitution...

HTH

-- Wolf

"Don't believe everything you think." (Maxine)

Reply to
Wolf

"Wolf" wrote

The UK doesn't even have a constitution.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In New Zaland we don't have a Constitution - those things which many consider should be in a constitution are contained within our laws. It works for us! :-)

My impression is that US government is broadly run by the big corporations.

Reply to
Greg Procter

A thousand years of law about covers it.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Britain and New Zealand get round that by not having a single written constitution document. Israel doesn't either.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

But theres probably been more added in the last 10 years than the previous

990 - whoops am i allowed to say that ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

Why not? The sad fact is that much of that recent law appears flawed or unenforceable! :-/

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Oh but it does, however it is very largely ignored.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Like the anti fox-hunting laws. Animal rights happy cos no one allowed to hunt foxes and hunts happy cos able to hunt foxes. Cost a few million quid for that gem but at least they werent screwing up something important !

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"Chris Wilson" wrote

Can you point me in its direction then please Chris?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Sure, start with the magna carta, the really important thing about this is not the remaining clauses but that it establishes/(re-established) that the crown is bound by the law, and more than that it is contractural in nature thus making it impossible to legally repeal. Likewise the Bill of Rights and likewise the Coronation Oath and so forth.

Now of course you actually enforce the constution you need judges who are prepared to stand up to protect it something that hasn't happened for in many years now.

I'll give you an example, HM bound by the coronation oath could not have lawfully signed any of the Treaties that made the UK a vassel state to Brussels ... likewise Heath's actions fell foul of the Treason Act (as did Major's blair's etc ... but only Blair was bright enough to stop the difficulty and he had the act repealed)

Back on topic, a summons was actually sworn out and issued in respect of Heath's treason ... however the CPS took over the prosecution and decided that it was not in the public interest to proceed a challenge through judical review would have suceeded however it was never made.

Anyway ... yes we do have a constitution (part of the reason behind these european rights thingies is to disguise the fact that we actually have *real* rights but as nobody cares to roack the apple cart it goes ignored.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , John Turner writes

Sorry, I'm not Chris, but ...

You could start here:

Jane Sullivan

Here in the United States we are not using ours anymore, so you could probably get it for a song if you want one.

Reply to
video guy