Diamond Dust as Earth's 1st AirConditioner from Global Warming

Now I wonder about "potential energy" stored in a diamond compared to the carbon in coal or the carbon in petrol. I wonder if say we visit a planet such as Mars and want to harvest its energy if it had alot of carbon. To say,

convert the carbon into diamonds and then transport back to Earth.

Another interesting question is to say convert all of the coal and petrol on Earth into diamonds.

But the most interesting thoughts in my mind tonight is the idea of putting DIAMOND DUST into the troposphere or upper atmosphere and we all know how reflective diamonds can be.

For many years now I have been looking for the very best material to reflect enough sunlight to keep Earth cool from global warming. Perhaps diamond dust is the ideal material to do just that.

Transporting them into the upper atmosphere is another problem. And I can see jet airplanes in the apex of their ascent releasing diamond dust. I can envision a rocket releasing diamond dust.

And Diamond dust is of no health risk that I am aware of. If inhaled or injested it is nonharmful and the body excretes it.

Perhaps we can even make the diamond dust such that hot air balloons can

transport.

Now I wonder if diamond dust is the best reflector, compared to say aluminum specks.

And diamond dust being carbon would be very lightweight and no problems with diamonds tarnishing or deteriorating while performing their task of sunlight reflection.

I need to post this to sci.materials and sci.engr

Archimedes Plutonium

whole entire Universe is just one big atom where dots of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Reply to
Archimedes Plutonium

Yes, I do believe that Diamond Dust would make a perfect Earth Air Conditioner. It weighs little. It lasts as long as up there without getting tarnished or corroded. It reflects beautifully. It is non harmful to animals or plants.

And nonharmful to exiting or returning space vehicles as they cross the Diamond swathe.

Ironic that it is carbon in fossil fuels that is wrecking the climate of Earth and yet it is another form of carbon that comes to the rescue and cools Earth as an Air Conditioner in Diamond Dust.

Life and science is just full of irony. That carbon causes Global Warming and that carbon in the form of diamond dust solves global warming. The only feature that I do not like about diamond dust is that it is noncontrollable. I would prefer a medium which can be controlled so that somedays we reflect more or less depending on circumstances. But that maybe a future engineering project. The important thing now is to get a first Earth AirConditioner system up there in place and to make better in the future.

Archimedes Plutonium

whole entire Universe is just one big atom where dots of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Reply to
Archimedes Plutonium

Diamonds are denser than granite.

Idiot.

Reply to
J Xenu

I was looking for current uses of Diamond Dust and found that recently it is used to make TV screens. Very interesting.

And if Earth's 1st AirConditioner is made of Diamond Dust that spans most of the globe, then perhaps we can thence make it also a global TV as well as cooling Earth.

And I suspect that to cool Earth the swathe of sky that needs Diamond Dust is only a swathe around the Equator half way to the tropic-of-cancer and halfway to the tropic-of-capricorn. There is no need to bath the entire globe with diamond dust, only the portion that receives the most sunlight.

We will need to test whether diamond dust can stay somewhat in place in a swathe. And whether it fills up the troposphere or bunches together.

Archimedes Plutonium

whole entire Universe is just one big atom where dots of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Reply to
Archimedes Plutonium

Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:27:14 -0600 Archimedes Plutonium wrote: (snipped)

Considering the properties of diamonddust, it will not stay up there in the troposphere long enough to do its work of sunlight reflection. As the Sunlight photons strike a diamonddust molecule increases the momentum of the diamond dust molecule to hurdle back to Earth ground. A way out of this predicament is to install the diamonddust in the Lagrangian points of outer space where they stay put in place. But also to look for a different material.

Consider black carbon of graphite dust. In effect this is what volcanoes do to cool Earth is choke the upper atmosphere with a dust that absorbs sunlight and prevents it from reaching the ground. But graphite in the troposphere compared to diamonddust is a pollutant because as it eventually falls back to Earth it poses a health risk in the breathing in of graphite carbon is somewhat akin to coal miners breathing in dust.

And we have had plenty of examples of where volcanoes emitted dust to the upper atmosphere and how long of a time it stayed up there to cool Earth. The 1990s Philippine volcano cooled earth for just one summer, Pinatubo if my memory serves and approx 1993 or thereabouts. So putting carbon graphite into the troposphere would only last for that summer and would be an operation that required a new refill to the troposphere every year.

So we have two different methods of science to be the Air Conditioner of Earth. One is a reflective material such as diamond dust and the other is an absorbent material of sunlight energy such as volcanic spew or carbon graphite.

I still think there is some CFC-variant that is benign and reflects sunlight waiting to be discovered as Earth's 1st AirConditioner.

Archimedes Plutonium

whole entire Universe is just one big atom where dots of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Reply to
Archimedes Plutonium

Sorry, I need to backtrack a little. I did not discuss the idea of Global Warming being solved by Solar panelling that captures sunlight and produces electricity. I should have done this to be thorough. I simply assumed it was too insignificant. So we need the calculations.

What if every building in the world had to have solar panelling for its roof. What if every road or highway had to have a solar panelled roof so that we capture sunlight and convert it to electricity. Would that sunlight capture be enough to cool Earth and save us from Global Warming? I assumed it would not because 2/3 of the Earth surface is oceans and there is no practical-way to capture that sunlight energy from the oceans. So the Solar panelling to a maximum would be that of all buildings, all roads and perhaps even all desert climates would not be enough.

But it is worth a scientific calculation as to how much Solar and even Wind power can capture of the Sunlight energy of Global Warming. It is scientifically true that Solar and Wind help decrease global warming but can they ever solve Global Warming. I doubt it. But we need those calculations. Because it makes more sense to decrease Global Warming via Solar or Wind rather than decrease Global Warming by stopping sunlight in the upper atmosphere from reaching the ground.

Archimedes Plutonium

whole entire Universe is just one big atom where dots of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Reply to
Archimedes Plutonium

There actually is something called "diamond dust" which does fall from the sky in Antarctica. It consists of very fine ice particles, which are the size of dust motes and which glitter like diamonds. (It's kind of like snow which never accumulates into snowflakes.) The reason we see it in Antarctica is because this is the coldest and dryest place on the planet.

Reply to
Timothy

A beautiful suggestion, Tim. Diamond Dust is expensive and will not stay long enough in the upper atmosphere due to density, as witnessed by volcanic ash which is less dense but stays up there for no longer than about 3 to 6 months or 2 seasons of a year.

So can we manufacture Antarctica Ice and how high up in the upper atmosphere or even the edges of outer space to reflect sunlight.

I still need the observed data as to how much of a contribution the ozone depletion creates global warming. I would like to think that the ozone can be a mono-factor in global warming. So that all we need do is increase the ozone layer to directly decrease the global warming.

But I may have to end up with a tandem solution of 2-cofactors, one of increasing ozone and one of placing a AntarcticaIceDust.

Tim, I am going to call it AntarcticaIceDust for that makes sense as a name.

So can we manufacture and deliver AntarcticaIceDust to the fringes of Earth's outer space so that it lasts up there for some period of time to pay for its investment??

Perhaps if the AntarcticaIceDust is a lucrative solution then we can overstock the outer space with the IceDust to relieve GlobalWarming while we figure out how to increase the ozone layer as its tandem partner in solution of Global Warming.

I wish some of those so called expert scientists would drop their "proving of Global Warming" and move onto solving global warming and especially the science of how much does the Ozone layer inhibit global warming and how much of the ozone increase would stabilize Global Warming to a range that is suitable for life on Earth.

Archimedes Plutonium

whole entire Universe is just one big atom where dots of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Reply to
Archimedes Plutonium

Earlier today I wrote about running two solutions in tandem to solve global warming.

I need to find out the details of where to deposit the Ice Dust relative to the Space Station. And the Space Station will probably have its first great function since creation of the station. That is, the base for Earth AirConditioner.

Whether the Ice Dust can be released from the space station.

Then the other solution in tandem is the addition of vast amounts of ozone into the upper atmosphere. The ozone absorbs UV energy and re-emits into outer space so that the energy does not hit ground and heat up Earth. The Ice Dust works by reflecting energy from the Sun.

But can we produce ozone on the ground and package it and then cargo haul it to the space station to distribute?

Can we cargo haul Ice Dust to the space station to distribute? Or perhaps we can manufacture the Ice Dust in the Space station itself?

Many, many details to work out and to find the optimal details.

I am thinking that the cost of this tandem solution is not very costly at all. We certainly can manufacture Ice Dust and ozone on the surface and cargo haul them to the Space Station. And I suppose the ozone can be liquidized.

It may turn out that Ice Dust manufactured in the Space Station is a singular or sole solution to global warming in that the Space Station can have a Ice Dust plant built into it where as it circumnavigates the globe it releases Ice Dust particles.

Not sure if those particles will interfer in a big way with the stations kinetics as it collides with ice dust particles.

But I like this idea because we have control over how much dust is released and we can control over what spots on the surface need more or less Ice Dust covering. We maybe able to control the weather via the Space Station.

But I still think we should replenish ozone so I like there to be 2 programs ongoing simultaneously. It is better to solve a problem from 2 programs rather than rely on a solo program. And perhaps if we can come up with a 3rd simultaneous program better yet.

Archimedes Plutonium

whole entire Universe is just one big atom where dots of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Reply to
Archimedes Plutonium

Dear Archimedes Plutonium:

No. Ozone absorbs UV and dissociates in oxygen and monatomic oxygen.

No. It is explosive (self-decomposes), and your "cargo hauler" will either consume the oxygen necessary for Earth to make her own, or seed the atmosphere with moisture which will in itself drastically curtail Earth's ability to make ozone. One pathway to the production of ozone is temporary acceptance of a monatomic oxygen onto a nitrogen gas molecule, which with the presence of visible light. Water makes this N2O* into a stable compound. Additionally, ozone, even at liquid ozone temperatures, has a half-life of about a week.

And we could rename "astronauts" to Ice Dust(R) fairies!

Yes it would. You can't just "release them", since they stay in orbit with the ISS. You have to alter their momentum, to let them fall into a "lower orbit". Now you need some sort of thruster.

It is unimportant "what you like". We purportedly had a "global warming episode" on the days after 9/11, when jet contrails were not present to reflect the Sun's light back into space. We don't need to go into space with this. If "global warming" is a problem, we already have the means to reverse it.

We shouldn't. Nature can do it herself, if we will leave her to it.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)