copper and steel at 770C

If the surfaces are clean, there may be some diffusion bonding between copper and iron/steel, and between iron and steel. This will be strictly a surface effect, since 770C is well below the melting points of iron, steel, or copper.

If the iron wire is really iron, not steel, then pre-annealing it should make it dead soft. Then you might not need any restraint to keep the iron wire in its slot.

All this will need to be in a neutral or reducing atmosphere to prevent severe oxidation of copper and moderate oxidate/decarburization of steel.

Reply to
C.D. Graham

Thanks. I didn't think it would be a problem, but I imagine lots of obscure effects and try to anticipate them before getting bitten. Even then, I get surprised sometimes.

Reply to
Mark Thorson