Can COPPER be tigged?

Hi, I'm starting a weathervane project that will be a gift for my Dad, and I'll need to join some thin (.040") sheet to a thicker edge (.062") along a lengthy curved seam. I've tig welded a lot of thin steel, but never copper. I guess my question is whether tig welding copper is more difficult than steel or if I should just solder the seam together? I know that copper can also be brazed but I've never brazed anything before. If brazing is the answer, what equipment would I need? Does brazing require a lot of technique? The problem is I don't have a lot of scrap copper to waste figuring this out...

Thanks,

--Max

Reply to
Max Krippler

Yes it can. Getting the amperage down low enough to keep from burning through the copper takes a pretty sophisticated tig machine, though. I used pure argon and just plain #12 copper wire for the filler rod. Seems like I was running at around 5 amps. You'd be better off asking this in sci.engr.joining.welding, I'd be interested in the responses, also. Good luck.

Reply to
Wally

we used to make "backup boxes" out of copper with the tig.We usually just fused the edges together without filler wire. fyi: a backup box is to apply inert gas to the back side of a weld joint for atmosphere control.

Reply to
digitalmaster