steel+copper

hei! I need some advice about selection of proper welding method... I want to weld a copper of 8 mm thickness on steel (S235JRG2) of 18 mm
thickness... Is it OK for using TIG method for root weld? Any other specific requirements ...... ? thx
black_hole_sun wrote:

I have welded copper to steel with MIG/MAG several times. But the copper was thinner (2mm). Current was in the ballpark of 100A. You need a lot of power and aim the arc more to the copper than the steel. With the 8mm copper, I even would think about pre-heating it.

Didn't TIG it, can't say.

Power!
Nick
--
Measure twice, cut once.
Or use YADRO:
Ipeak wrote:

If I think of all the chrome-plated rims and handle-bars, I am really frightened!
Nick
--
Measure twice, cut once.
Or use YADRO:
Nick Mueller wrote:

Ipeak wrote:

Right!
Welding copper to steels also doesn't mix it. You have the same process like with brazing (brass also contains copper, like silver-solder). It is only diffusing (at different degrees) on the contact area.
Look at it as kind of "reverse" process of MIG-brazing (don't know how you call it), that uses Al-bronze or Si-bronze (both Al or Si in the 3% range, rest is copper). You replace the bronze with steel and have nearly the same effects on the boundary copper-steel.
Nick
--
Measure twice, cut once.
Or use YADRO:
black_hole_sun wrote:

I would probably silver solder copper to steel.
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

I second the silver soldier and proper flux Ed ke6bnl
1)Can you tell me which copper alloys are weldable?
2) I know the following copper alloys: a) brass b)Copper nickels, nickel silvers
A) Aluminum Bronzes B)Silicon Bronzes C)Leaded Copper D)Tin Bronzes E)Manganese Bronzes F) berillium bronzes
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:05:26 +0100, black_hole_sun wrote:

What sort of quantity/area are you talking about? I ask because it may be easier to buy steel which has been clad by explosive.
--
Mike